Move To Australia Guide

Government Assistance

Not sure how to use the forum? Have a question about our website? Take a look at the Forum & Site Help category, where we will answer those types of questions. All other categories are dedicated to discussion about moving to Australia.

Can I claim ACC in Australia?

Hi, if I'm on permanent ACC, can I claim it in Australia? And do they have a reciprocal arrangement with the NZ government? Thanks

Posted by juddy. 8 replies. Latest activity on 19 November 2023.

Can New Zealanders get the age pension in Australia?

My husband and I are well into our 50s and are planning to move to Brisbane. From what we've seen on this site we probably wouldn't get PR status in Australia. So what happens when we reach…

Posted by neva-too-old. 30 replies. Latest activity on 06 November 2023.

Are we entitled to family support service payments when we move to Australia from New Zealand?

Posted by james. 10 replies. Latest activity on 05 April 2011.

Having my baby in Australia - am I entitled to any kind of benefit?

I'm pregnant at the moment and want to have my baby in Australia. Am I entitled to any kind of benefit?

Posted by shaznay. 4 replies. Latest activity on 31 March 2011.

Does a Kiwi who entered Australia after 2002 qualify for the first time home buyers grant?

Posted by rufus. 3 replies. Latest activity on 26 January 2011.

If my partner has child support arrears, how do we go about paying them from Australia?

Posted by kristy. 4 replies. Latest activity on 21 January 2011.

Is there a childcare subsidy in Australia similar to the OSCAR subsidy through WINZ in NZ?

I am looking at moving to Melbourne but I want to know if there is a subsidy for school aftercare like in NZ. If so, do you have be in Australia for 2 years before you are eligible?

Posted by lisa-524. 2 replies. Latest activity on 25 July 2010.

I am an Australian Citizen wishing to bring my incapacitated father (a New Zealand citizen) to Australia. What benefits will he be able to get and will Medicare help out?

My father has had a stroke and has aphasia and is unable to communicate, as well as being paralysed. My mother is the full time carer. He is 60 and has been in NZ over 20 years. Will Medicare help…

Posted by sina79. 1 reply. Latest activity on 06 July 2008.

Can I get child support in Australia?

Posted by anonymous. 2 replies. Latest activity on 17 June 2014.

Can Kiwis studying in Australia get any financial assistance? Or am I on my own?

Posted by kiwifruit. 1 reply. Latest activity on 12 September 2008.

Is there such a thing as a living away from home allowance for New Zealanders?

I have a house and business in NZ but will be heading to Australia indefinitely. I've heard I may be able to get a subsidy on my accommodation while living there: LAFHA or something like that. But I…

Posted by kship. 2 replies. Latest activity on 12 March 2010.

Child disability allowance in Australia

We have 2 kids, one with a disability. Do you know if you get more disability entitlements in Australia than in New Zealand?

Posted by tanya. 2 replies. Latest activity on 25 January 2009.

Can Kiwis claim child support payments from Centrelink?

We're planning on moving over to Australia early next year and I have a friend who has been there with her family almost 2 years. She has told me we will be entitled to Centrelink payments for our…

Posted by debbie. 1 reply. Latest activity on 15 October 2008.

Can I get a student loan if I have permanent residence in Australia?

Posted by artemis. 2 replies. Latest activity on 09 July 2013.

Are there any accommodation supplements in Australia for low income earners?

Posted by little-john. 1 reply. Latest activity on 09 December 2008.