Categories
None (yet)
Posted by kelsey 12 years ago.

NZ Teacher Applying to Teach in Sydney, NSW

Four weeks ago I applied to teach.NSW for permission to teach in Sydney and sent through my supporting documentation. Now I've received an email stating that I need evidence of Australian citizenship, permanent residency or a work visa for my application to be processed. When I called up teach.NSW, the person on the other end initially said that my application could be processed without a visa, but when I told her about the email I'd received, her tune changed and she said that I'd have to physically move to Oz & sit around there for an unspecified period of time (without being able to teach), in order for the application to be processed.

As a NZ citizen I know that I am allowed to live and work in Oz without applying for a visa, and that I will received a Special Category Visa automatically once I arrive.

Is there anyone who could shed some light on this. Maybe a Kiwi who has applied to teach in NSW? Sometimes when I call up teach.NSW they seem to be making guesses at answers to my questions.

ANY light on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!

14 replies, the latest on 12 August 2022.
Reply from nzuksteve 12 years ago.

Teach NSW comes under the auspices of the NSW government department of education. You are basically applying to work for the Australian government and most depertments require that employees are Australian citizens or have permanent residency etc. Just being a NZer is Australia does not qualify you to become a permanent resident - you would need to apply for an appropriate visa just like any other migrant to Australia. The Teach NSW site does mention working under a valid working visa, so NZ citizen on a SCV444 could be valid, however you are not issued with this visa until you enter the country hence the comment by a staff member about needing to be in the country for a certain period. You would also need to complete some induction and placements by the looks of it, in order for the NSW education system to approve of you.

You could consider applying for a skilled migrant visa (Independent subclass 175). NZ citizens with certain professions who are under the age of 50 (at the time of application) may apply for this visa, in or outside Australia. Once granted this would give you the advantage of being allowed to then apply for permanent residency (something few regular NZ's are able to do anymore), and then eventual Australian citizenship. Look up the requirements for this under skilled migration and visa subclass 175.

Reply from kiwi-in-perth 12 years ago.

You probably spoke to dumbass clerk at the other end. You could have landed on the weekend and started on Monday. Maybe just needed to send a scanned copy of your passport. I've been here for more than 2 years. That's all they've asked for. Hopefully you took the step four months ago. Cheers

Reply from debbie 11 years ago.

Which is the best way to go about registering as a teacher in Perth, coming from NZ? How long does it take and what is required? Thanks D

Reply from bex 10 years ago.

Hey, I was just wondering how the process went and if there was any further information? I am most likely moving over in December, but would like to try and get most of the paper work etc done before I leave. If that's possible. Thanks :)

Reply from jamesinnz 9 years ago.

New South Wales is the only state that is not covered by the trans-Tasman agreement. Any other state should be a walk-in. NSW, complicated and possibly time consuming process.

On the other hand, if you are NSW trained and move to NZ, the Education Council is very difficult to deal with. If you haven't worked full time in a compulsory sector (NSW registered school) for six years or longer, you will need to do a TER Course - The whole process took over a year for me and cost around $6,000(NZD) for all paperwork plus 6 weeks of unpaid work.

Reply from monty 8 years ago.

So from all that can anyone give some clear steps in to what i need to do to teach in Sydney. Moving in a couple of weeks and would like to start doing at least something before i get there to set up for next year or something

Reply from isthegrassgreenerinaus 8 years ago.

Hi there, is anyone able to shed light on this process. I'm currently in the beginning steps of applying (as a kiwi, in Sydney). I'd love to know what to expect and the length of the process etc.

Cheers

Reply from danielle 8 years ago.

Im a kiwi wishing to teach in Sydney, how hard is this process? do they accept your qualifications? do i need to go on more placements etc?

Reply from nsw-bos-is-stupid 8 years ago.

to make you all feel better, I am an approved teacher in NSW have taught for a year and because NSW is stupid my qualification cannot be transferred to NZ or anywhere else in Australia except Victoria so you certainly aren't the only one being peed off by the NSW BOS or whatever the hell they changed their name to... it seems to change every 3 months...

Reply from kiwi-in-oz 7 years ago.

I am a New Zealand citizen. I don't have any special visa or permit and I am a teacher in one of NSW's largest public schools. There are no issues regarding visas. It seems the problems arise due to what university you got your degree from.

Reply from lolo 7 years ago.

Ive been teaching in NSW since 2009. You don't need to be permanent resident and I applied straight away when I landed in NSW in 2009. The only problem is they might not recognize some of your degrees and you will have to do your full teacher certificate which only takes a year. Its all worth it because the money is better here then NZL. Good luck to the kiwi Teachers.

Reply from rachel 2 years ago.

I have a degree in ECE from NZ. I'm just wondering if anyone has had their NZ degree ending up being recognised as a diploma in NSW?

Reply from morne 2 years ago.

Hi everyone

We are planning to relocate to Sydney or Brisbane from NZ. We aren't citizens, just residents at the moment. My wife is a fully registered teacher in NZ with about 10 years teaching experience. Will she be able to apply for the Mutual Recognition and will she have to do the IELTS Academic test. I also know that she can only apply for a WWCC and NESA accreditation once in Australia.

We are planning to apply for the SC 491 visa. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reply from parker 2 years ago.

Hello,

I am currently in NZ but am wanted to teach in Sydney next year in a primary school. I am getting confused with what forms I need to fill out and what I need before heading over.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!