Categories
None (yet)
Posted by rohan 16 years ago.

Can a Kiwi over 45 years of age become an Australian resident?

I am a NZ citizen over 45 years of age with a permanent job offer in Australia. Is it possible for me to become a permanent resident in Australia?

Reply from forum moderator 6 months ago on 5 November 2023.

Although your question is about becoming an Australian permanent resident, as of 1 July 2023, it has become much easier for NZ citizens to become Australian citizens - and this might be of help to you.

Becoming an Australian permanent resident was the biggest hurdle on the way to becoming an Australian citizen. Now, a New Zealander who lives in Australia for 4 years or more (simply by moving there and living on an SCV) is automatically considered a PR for citizenship purposes. There is no longer a health check associated with this step.

Please see our page on Becoming An Australian Citizen for the latest information. We keep that page updated as the law changes.

14 replies, the latest on 05 November 2023.
Reply from melbs 16 years ago.

YES! You just need to be a NZ citizen to qualify for a SCV (special category visa) that will allow you to live and work in Aussie indefinitely. There are no age restrictions for obtaining an SCV.

Reply from frankie 16 years ago.

You can legally reside and work in Australia but to become an 'Australian Permanent Resident' you need to pass the points test - the older you are the more difficult it is - you loose 1 point for every 5 years ol age. The only benefit that I can see is that becoming a Permanent Resident you can access working-age benefits and become an Australian Citizen.

Reply from rare-japan 6 months ago.

This is no longer the case, as of 1 July 2023. Age is not a restriction in becoming an Australian citizen for NZ citizens.

Reply from mayflower 16 years ago.

Hi, My mother is 50 and we are looking to move to Australia permanently. She is worried about her entitlements if she doesn't have permanent residency as I understand there are some things NZ Citizens are not entitled to without residency. As her daughter, if I have residency, will that help her? I am only 23 and should be able to achieve it either on my own or through my father (they are separated). I am worried about her about her standing. thanks

Reply from teesol 15 years ago.

My uncle is 82 and has lived here for years. He collects his pension just like his Aussie wife as there are reciprocal rights between NZ & Oz. Same as child support, the IRD will catch up with you here thru the ATO and now if you owe money and return to NZ they will not let you back out of NZ until you have paid any outstanding money owing. Why would you want to become an Aussie anyway, the place is full of them and kiwis have a much better reputation for their work ethics.

Reply from anonymous 15 years ago.

I am 51 years old am I eligible for permenent residence

Reply from st0n3y 13 years ago.

My dad has just turned 57 and he has just become a Australian resident. So yes you are able to get residence

Reply from raj-subramanian 12 years ago.

The Australian immigration rules restricting immigration age to 45 are discriminatory. How can any Country say the humans past 45 are not welcome in this country as PRs? These rules could be challenged on Human Rights Grounds in International HRC. I invite interested Solicitors/Lawyers to put up a case first in Australian Courts as well as in International HRC.

Reply from nzuksteve 12 years ago.

Restricting immigration to younger age groups could be considered 'positive discrimination', however the Australian government is beginning to relax its policy on age and immigration and you can be 50 now and still apparently successfully apply for skilled migration - although you get a 'fat' 0 points for being over 45! But if you are intending to open and run a business in Australia the age restriction is not applicable.

Your comment on age discrimination being a human rights issue in Australia. Do you realise that Australia does NOT actually possess a constitutional bill of human rights! Just because Australia is a western country does not mean it has a human rights bill as do the great majority of/if not all other english speaking western countries. Even little old NZ has a human rights constitution!

Not having a human rights bill actually can work to Australia's advantage and thats another reason why the government can and has such a rigid immigration policy which benefits the country and its citizens, rather than having every policy being viewed through a human rights prism before being utilised. There are, of course disadvantages in the country not having a human rights bill, but most policy has human rights built in without it becomy the primary objective.

Reply from kiwi 16 years ago.

It's almost impossible if you are over 45 years of age. You cannot used the skilled migration route when you are over 45. There are other categories for applying for a permanent visa - you might like to look at DIAC's website: www.immi.gov.au

Seeing as you have a job offer, you may be able to get your employer to sponsor you for a permanent visa.

But you can still come to Australia as a NZ citizen and live/work/study here indefinitely. Unless you want citizenship or social security there is not much need for you to apply for a permanent visa.

Reply from rare-japan 6 months ago.

There is no age restriction on getting an SCV - so any NZ citizen of good character can move to Australia.

Once you have lived in Australia for 4 years, you can apply to become an Australian citizen. Again, there is no age restriction on this.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!