Categories
None (yet)
Posted by confused-citizen 13 years ago.

I was convicted twice for DUI in July 2007 and I'm planning to move to Australia in June 2013. Will it be a problem for me to get the Special Category Visa?

Hi, I am an IT consultant by profession.

I was convicted twice for DUI in July 2007 and I'm planning to move to Australia in June 2013. Will it be a problem for me to get the Special Category Visa.

I know what I did was wrong and have been repenting ever since I was caught the second time, but have realised my mistake in a hard way. Please advise me if it's fine for me to travel to Australia with these convictions. I was not imprisoned I just went to the court and payed the fine for my stupid mistake.

Please advise.

4 replies, the latest on 06 May 2013.
Reply from answer 13 years ago.

I think they may ask you about the convictions when you're entering in. I only know for sure that drug convictions send you straight back to NZ. Try e-mailing the Aus state (you're interested in moving to) government page or the NZ Internal Affairs site. Someone there should be able to answer you.

Reply from adaz 13 years ago.

you will run into issues with this. i don't know what they'll do to you, but it will be a problem.

Reply from robbo 12 years ago.

it will be absolutely fine, just tell them at immigration. for piece of mind you can apply through the australian consulate in auck before you go but most people are fine if they just declare it upon entry.

Reply from confused-citizen
OP
11 years ago.

Things went fine after I applied to disclose my convictions to AU embassy, with in 4 days I received a letter stating I should be fine to move to AU. Honesty has paid off....good to others and never repeat this DUI....not worth it...thanks

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!