Categories
None (yet)
Posted by genome 13 years ago.

How can I convert my Canadian permanent residence status to Australian permanent resident status?

I am a permanent resident card holder in Canada. I landed in June 2009 as a dependant (of my father). After residing for 1 year in Canada I have decided to permanently move to Australia. Is there any way I can get a conversion from Canadian PR card to Australian PR? If yes, will my 1 year stay in Canada be counted in Australia towards getting Australian Citizenship?

2 replies, the latest on 09 January 2015.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

You can't convert the permanent resident status of Canada to Australia as they are two completely separate countries with separate immigration processes. To move to Australia you will have to start from scratch applying for a visa with the Australian immigration department. If you have family in Australia or a skilled that is on the Skilled migrant list then getting a visa to live in Australia will be easier.

Reply from mrh 9 years ago.

Hi: I recently got PR in both Australia and Canada. I want to visit both the countries before deciding where will I stay. Is this dual PR illegal? I have the intention to stay in one country after this visit.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!