Categories
None (yet)
Posted by princess 14 years ago.

Am I an Australian citizen if I lived there for over 8 years and went to school there before coming back to NZ? I was born in NZ.

The reason why I am asking is that I wish to return back to Australia and if I am an Australian citizen, can I get an Australian passport? The other thing is that I have a criminal record here in NZ for fraud but have stayed out of trouble for over 5 years.

1 reply on 09 November 2010.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

Hi Prince,

You can find out for sure here http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/proof_of_citizenship/ but from the looks of it you need to either have been born in Australia or have previously been issued with a citizenship certificate in order to be eligible.

If you aren't an Australian Citizen you can still live in Australia on a special category visa assigned automatically to all New Zealanders.

Your criminal history may be an issue, but it depends on whether you went to prison and how long you were in prison for.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!