Categories
None (yet)
Posted by nbxz 16 years ago.

I want to ship my car from NZ to Brisbane. How much will it cost?

51 replies, the latest on 31 March 2023.
Reply from hillbilly 9 years ago.

You first need to apply for an import to Australia permit BEFORE you do anything.

Normally Aussie wont let you import a model that is on sale here.

EG they wouldnt let you import a Commodore.

If you send it over without the permission they will do 1 of several things including Send it back to NZ at your expense, seize and crush it.

So under no circumstances send it without getting the permit. Also if that model was never here parts will be a problem as very few Jap imports come here and if they do its very hard to get insurance for them.

I was going to buy a Toyota ST150 Corona here and no one would insure it for me.

Read this https://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp

Reply from james 16 years ago.

I know someone who was looking into it and it was going to cost around $4000 for the shipping etc. Then there was insurance on top and then the cost of getting it road worthy in Aus. They say it isn't worth it unless you have a unique car that is worth a lot of $$. Fords and Holdens are cheap here.

Reply from kiwi-chick 16 years ago.

You also need to pay a % percentage of teh landed value, plus fumigation of teh container once it is in customs, you then pay customs duty, and it sometimes depends on who you get at customs this end! As me!! said above - ensure you have investigated the value your car will be once it gets here, becasue it is expensive!!!

Reply from donnyb 13 years ago.

hi. this site has answered nearly all our questions thank u so much. does anyone know how much it will cost to ship our 2 vehicles in a container from Wgtn to Melbourne,Victoria. We r moving there in June.

Reply from bp 12 years ago.

It usually isn't worthwhile shipping a car to Australia as the cost is around $4000 plus another $2-3000 for duties etc the other end plus form filling is impossible!

Reply from baffled 11 years ago.

Hi, we moved to Gold Coast in June this year. We had a 3 year old Peugeot 308 Wagon which we wanted to bring with us, but discovered that by the time we paid the 10% GST on the value the Aust. Customs put on the vehicle, plus the shipping, compliance costs etc and all the drama involved (they don't make it easy for you) it was going to cost in excess of $10,000, which made it totally unaffordable.

Cut your losses unless it is a classic car, there are a lot of the small to med cars here which are not that much more expensive to buy than in NZ.

Reply from anonymous 11 years ago.

The prices are just ridiculous :( we are moving next month from auckland to Gold Coast am looking into prices to ship over our vehicle but seeing how much it cost no thanks better of selling it here and purchasing one when we arrive, thanks for the answerd questions!

Reply from jess 11 years ago.

hi I want to take my 2 vehicle from Auckland to goldcoast does any 1 has a fair idea how much it will cost

Reply from flissty 11 years ago.

We have found that prices for vehicles here are high compared to NZ -check on websites. Shipping is also a high cost -about 7-8k for a used stationwagon size vehicle plus the hassle of getting it registered and ready to drive after it lands in a country where you are not sure where to go to do this and is very geared up for their own system -as you have to expect.

We bought a simple vehicle to use here over the last few years of living in Brisbane -2001 Nissan Pulsar Sedan LX and it cost 10K!! It has now got about 120k on it is in great condition and we will sell it when we leave again in January for about 7 or 8 hopefully.

Reply from shipping-nz-to-oz 10 years ago.

It costs around $550 to send a 20' container from China to either Oz or NZ, the shipping companies are totally ripping people off. I shipped my car using tauruslogistics, my car ended up scratched and has a rattle underneath, it was fully insured and they wouldn't pay out so DON"T USE THEM TO SHIP YOUR CAR.

I suggest dumping your car and as much of your personal belongings. It doesn't matter if you are coming to NZ or going to Oz. You can pick up so much of your stuff second hand for cheap in both countries. But the prices they charge, the stress involved, it's often better to just dump everything.

Reply from janetta 9 years ago.

wow...it sounds expensive

I just got a quote from Taurus Logistics to ship my Nissan Terrano over to Brisbane for $2700

I feel really safe in my terrano (have 1 eye only-so normal car not high enough for good vision)

What other expenses should I be enquiring about-Taurus said this quote covered everything I need

Reply from proudkiwi 8 years ago.

I have just returned from 7 years in Brissie, and I also considered shipping my car over when I left for Australia (but didn't in the end). Before you decide it costs too much, do your research on the cost of buying cars in Australia - try popular sites like carsales.com.au.

As if you are looking to buy a second hand car they are so much more expensive than you would expect (and you have to pay stamp duty on any car you buy) ! I regretted not shipping my car over - as I ended up paying double what I sold my car for here in NZ (for same car make and year, but inferior model), and would rather have had my car as I knew its full history etc.

Everyone's situation is different - just pointing out that to make a full informed decision you should investigate the cost of the type of car you would look to buy in Australia first.

Reply from hillbilly 8 years ago.

Before you commit to anything GET AN IMPORT PERMIT or you might lose it if you bring it without one You wont be allowed to bring it in if you dont. No ifs or buts

Read the link i provided

Reply from cumulus 8 years ago.

Everything I read so far sound so complicated and costly!

Anyone have any success story with bringing their car back to Australia?

I received a quote from Taurus Logistics for "Origin costs, freight costs and destination costs" around $2500 from Wellington to Melbourne, but no mention of car Insurance?? do I need to ask them or contact insurance company myself? any other costs?

Or can anyone suggested another company? or any experience (BAD OR GOOD) with TAURUS?

Reply from hillbilly 8 years ago.

The first thing you have to do is get an import licence from Australia BEFORE you even think of bringing it. If you land it in Aus without one they will either crush it or send it back at your expense.

No ifs or buts. Unless its an expensive or nearly new car it may not be worth it but cars in general are more expensive here than in NZ due to we dont have Jap imports.It will have to be scrupulously cleaned inside and out especially underneath or they will do it on arrival and charge you for it $300??? You will probably have to arrange Transit insurance or pay the carrier to do it same as with possessions in a container. A Google of car transporters NZ -AUS may help you.

Reply from rebekah-g 8 years ago.

Hi, Yes you absolutely need to ensure you apply for an import permit in Australia, you can do this through the department of infrastructure they have an online form. The application itself costs $50AUD. To get your car to Australia you will need to pay for a 20GP container have it packed strapped, cleaned etc before sending it. Upon arrival you will pay for port costs, customs duty and tax, as well as a clearance fee and aqis inspection, as well as unpack etc.

Rebekah

Reply from raj 8 years ago.

Hello. I live in Auckland and planning an adventure of driving from NZ to India. Does anyone know if I could put my car in a ship and drive through Australia before putting it in a ship again from Darwin to Indonesia ? Basically I am not importing a car in to Aus but just driving and eventually bringing back to NZ.

Can this be only a dream or reality ?

Any feedback is much appreciated

Cheers

Reply from ask-the-correct-authority 8 years ago.

The only true answer is to ask Aus Customs about it. Would probably be cheaper to hire a car for that rather than pay shipping and wharfage twice. As Indonesia is also an island it seems you will be using several ships to get where you are going. Perhaps a bit more research is needed.

It is far better to ask the horses head for an answer rather than the other end if you get what I mean.

Reply from saskia 8 years ago.

Hi great comments here but my question is about shipping a hort wheelbase coaster bus from australia to new zealand! We can drive it to any destination so really need to find out where is better to leave from and where is better to ship to ie nth or sth island we intend to do a long drive holiday any ideas comments greatfull thanks in advance.

Reply from sandeep 8 years ago.

I'm moving from Auckland to Sydney and would like to take my Mitsubishi Outlander 2006 How much will it cost and is it worth it ?

Reply from henryboy 8 years ago.

Hi,,greetings everyone,,I'm planning to ship my Toyota Alphard 2004 model to Brisbane from New Zealand,,it cost 19k purchase 3 years ago under my name and I've been here in Sunshine Coast for a month now,,How much probably it cost for it...thanks...just 1 car 8 seater....

Reply from ask-the-correct-people 7 years ago.

As far as importing a car to Australia is concerned you should ask the Customs dept. You MUST get a licence to import BEFORE it leaves NZ as if it arrives here without one they may send it back or crush it at your cost. We can only give an opinion and you should ask the correct Govt Dept for the true answer. Also if your car is a Jap import you may have great problems getting insurance for it in Aus. I was going to buy a Jap import when I came and couldnt get insurance for it. Go to a forwarding company and ask them about the costs. May be able to be put in a container for a reasonable amount. Registration costs here are a lot higher A 4 cyl car costs about $700 a year for reg and compulsory 3rd party insurance in QLD.

Reply from question 7 years ago.

Hi! How much time does this processing take? Their website says 20 working days but anybody who got it before that?

Reply from gel 7 years ago.

Hi there. I'm thinking if it's worth bringing my Nissan xtrail 2014 (7 seater) in Melbourne from auckland. I'm finding it hard to decide because I'm not getting the rough amount of how much the total expensed would cost me. Can anybody who had experienced to please help me. I'm concerned about the taxes govt fees etc.....

Reply from graciedeska 7 years ago.

@Gel,

I asked Crown (the company we used for our move) to help with your question on bringing the Nissan xtrail 2014 (7 seater) to Melbourne. They replied with the following:

"Hello, The following link https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx will provide you information about importing vehicles into Australia and contacting them direct will help you determine possible taxes and fees that would apply. The cost of transporting a car depends on a number of factors including whether you have any personal belongings being sent at the same time. We'd be happy to provide a quote if you need."

We talk more about our experience using Crown here if you're interested!

https://movetoaustralia.net/shipping-stuff-to-australia

Reply from gel 7 years ago.

And also what movers is the reasonable company to use pls

Reply from read-reply-22-before-doing-anything 7 years ago.

Read my reply 22 because if you dont do what i advised you may not have a car.

Reply from rose 7 years ago.

Hi all thanks so much for your comments, really helpful. i am moving to Sydney from Auckland in a months time and would like to take my Merc 2015. Please tell me what difficulties I may face?, how the costs you guys mentioned here could be any different, what suitable exporting companies should i consider talking to, or is it not worth taking it at all?

Reply from melo 7 years ago.

Does anyone know about transporting a vintage car to Australia? Mine is a 1972 Valiant Charger.

Reply from gh 6 years ago.

A 1972 would be a VETERAN not a VINTAGE and different rules may apply. The only true answer will come from Australian Customs so why don't you get in touch with them. DO NOT under any circumstance bring it over and then apply as it must be done BEFORE it leaves the country it is in. Could be crushed or sent home at your expense if the documentation isnt done first.

Reply from andal 6 years ago.

Hi Everyone, Does someone know about the cost to ship my Holden from NZ to Aussie ? I'm aware of the shipping and duty costs but I've heard that as an aussie car, it won't be subject to import tax... I doubt a bit so if anyone can help me ... Cheers A

Reply from phoebe 6 years ago.

Hi, my partner wants his tandem trailer shipped to Sydney. I see a lot of comments about vehicles but nothing about trailers. Does the same rule apply for a trailer to be shipped across and would you know about the costs?

Reply from van 6 years ago.

Hi everyone I am moving here in July. I do realise we need a permit for import before we do anything. I just wanted opinions on whether it is worth importing a HONDA CRZ to Brisbane from Auckland or not. Considering there aren't many here and I would have to pay mega bucks to be able to get a car like that here in BNE. Any opinions/advice/ideas would be appreciated.

Reply from shaun 6 years ago.

Hi new to the site Any suggestions for which movers to use currently car/household Nz to Brisbane Thks

Reply from pjwg 6 years ago.

I want to go back to Australia and take my car Holden Commodore VT. How much would it cost from maybe Port Taranaki to Brisbane?

Reply from gold-coast-resident-exnz 6 years ago.

So many kiwis taking cars to Brisbane!

We're the same. Moved to NZ 4 months ago, bought a car, and then got transferred to the Gold Coast for work. Seems like our car is going to get stuck! Late model premium Euro car. The price difference between NZ and AU is almost a $40,000 AUD loss to sell here, and by back in QLD.

Is there any wiggle room on the 12 month rule?

Reply from nibor 6 years ago.

What does it cost to ship a new Kia Sportage from Auckland nz to Brisbane Aus and how long do you have to own it before they consider it yours

Reply from c63 5 years ago.

Hi I'm looking at importing my c63 2010 to Perth from Auckland. Is it worth it? What percent of value landed do you pay? I got it cheap and have owned it for 6 months - is that an issue?

Reply from kit 5 years ago.

Hi All. Looking at moving to Brisbane soon, Wanting to bring my 2 cars over, both Mercedes, one is UK imported 2006 SLK55 AMG and the other 2018 A180. I have read all about the import license to OZ but it doesnt really gives me any idea about cost. Can anyonr help? Thank you.

Reply from toc-nz 5 years ago.

I am going to move to Adelaide from Auckland,Anyone knows how much does it cost to shipping a 2013 Subaru Outback to Australia? how to get an import permit of Australia?

Reply from vince 5 years ago.

Hi I’m looking to buy a project in Auckland and have it shipped over to Brisbane. Jumbo 1977 Bedford. Prob worth about 5k to buy. Any ideas on costs??

Reply from zach 4 years ago.

Hi there, we’re moving to Brisbane in 2 months. Would it be worth to take our 8 seater Toyota estima there. What companies to do I need to call? Thanks

Reply from zimbo 3 years ago.

Hi, is it worth taking my 2013 Ranger and 99 BMW Z3 to Aussie from NZ. Both are mint condition.

Reply from srinivas 1 year ago.

Hi There,

Anybody shipped their car from Auckland to Brisbane, I am thinking to move my corolla sedan, want to know the price and steps, Thank you

Reply from suz 1 year ago.

Hiya

Am looking at shipping my nissan navara 2018 ute to sydney, wondering if its worth it or the shipping cost, duty and tax be too expensive.

Reply from dunedin 1 year ago.

Hi there we are looking at relocating to Brisbane and taking a toyota off road buggy plus motorbike has anyone had any experience relocating these? Cheers Dunedin

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!