Categories
None (yet)
Posted by kiwinz 14 years ago.

Am I an Australian permanent resident?

Dear all, I lived in Melbourne from November 1999 till September 2001 (10 months). I was working there and had a Medicare card, driver's licence, TFN and was registered with Centrelink. Then I returned back to NZ. Now, 9 years later, I wish to move back to Australia with my wife and 2 year old. All of us are NZ citizens. Will I get income support/dole and can I be a permanent resident? Can someone help? Thanks

2 replies, the latest on 31 January 2011.
Reply from nzdong 14 years ago.

I think you can because you have medicare card which is a good proof that you moved to Australia before Feb 2001. Is it still valid? However, it is better to call Centerlink and check with them before you move. BTW, don't just rely on one Centerlink call. Some of the people work there don't know what they are doing... Make sure you call a few different people to get a confirmative answer.

Reply from kiwinz
OP
13 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, I called Centrelink and they confirmed me as Protected Scv visa holder and I am a permanent resident for their social security purpose and then as per your suggestion i rang citizenship office and they gave me a good news by saying I have to stay there for 4 yr and apply for citizenship and i can include my daughter and she will get citizenship as well, so it all looks... here we go Mel we are coming.

BTW you are doing awesum job by running this site best luck :)

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!