Categories
None (yet)
Posted by james 17 years ago.

Are we entitled to family support service payments when we move to Australia from New Zealand?

10 replies, the latest on 05 April 2011.
Reply from melbourne-maven 17 years ago.

From what I have read about this, new migrants from NZ (since 26th Feb 2001) generally need to become an Australian permanent resident to receive any social security payments, and then there is a two year waiting period from the point of becoming a resident. Here is a link to a one page PDF information brochure from Centrelink Australia (the NZ equivalent of Work and Income): http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/int024_0607/$file/int024_0607en.pdf

Reply from peanut 17 years ago.

Im a kiwi looking at the move, and have contacted centrelink re: family support, and yes, kiwis still qualify for this payment, both part a and part b, its called family tax credit in oz.

Reply from chick 16 years ago.

To qualify for family support do you have to be on a low salary?

Reply from frankie 16 years ago.

We are not Australian Residents and recieved Family Tax Benefit. There are 2 types - Part A which is given if you earn under a certain amount - for 1 child it is about $95,000 per year (but check the above websites). We earned about $80,000 per annum and got around $17 fortnight Family Tax Benefit Part A. Part B is applicable where the income of one of the parents is reduced after the arrival of the child. My husband was a stay-at-home Dad so his income pre-kids to after kids is assessed to give you the amount of Family Tax Benefit Part B. You might be wondering why we bothered to claim such a small benefit - the big benefit for us is a thing called the Medicare Safety Net - if you are a receiptent of Family Tax Benefit and your out-of-pocket medical expenses are over $500 per year (only cetain expenses count) then the government gives you 90% of all your out of pocket expenses.

Reply from trinity 14 years ago.

Hi, can someone help if Im getting a family assistance straight away if we move to Oz? or do I have to wait for how long? My husband is going there to find a job but I dont want to go together because Im not sure if we're gettng some support straight away for my 3 girls all under 5. Should we go together or wait til my husband settle there??

Reply from johne 14 years ago.

if your only criteria for not going together is because of the timing of family assistance, then go together..you get the assistance immediately

Reply from juzzie 14 years ago.

hi do me my partner and children all need tfn numbers to recive family surpport and do we need any type of visa as well we are nz citizens moving to melbourne

Reply from jewlz 14 years ago.

hi there is family assistance and family support two different things over there??? my partner and I and 3 children are looking at moving to brizzy and wondering if we are able to get family assistance as soon as possible..

Reply from jerry-mataia 13 years ago.

Hi there, hey yeah I have lived in Australia (sydney,Bankstown) for almost 2 years back in 1993-1995, I worked in sydney, but moved back in late 1995 due to my dads illness and I havent been back ever since.its been like 16 to 17 years since I have been back in NZ.now Im planning to move to melbourne soon with my Family. I already have a Tax file number, I had a Australian Drivers License and I was with common wealth Bank. Do you think that the Australian Taxation Office will have records of my tax file number and also the ministry of transport have a record of my Drivers License? thanks for your help..

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!