Categories
None (yet)
Posted by samol 14 years ago.

I was born in Australia but have lived in NZ since I was 8 months old. Can I get Australian citizenship?

I was born in Canberra, Australia, and when I was about 8 months old, my mother and I came to live in New Zealand. My mother is a New Zealand resident.

If I wanted to move back to Australia, would I have to apply for residency or citizenship? My mother did get me NZ citizenship, but would I already be a duel citizen? Or would i need to re-apply? Also, my partner is a NZ resident, would he need to get citizenship if we were to move to Australia?

2 replies, the latest on 07 March 2015.
Reply from nzdong 14 years ago.

When were you born? If it is before Feb 2001, I believe you are entitle to Australian citizenship. You need to have your birth certificate though.

Even with a NZ citizenship, you can come to live and work in OZ just like any other OZ. The only difference is that you are not entitle to any social benefits such as unemployment benefits. You still get your medicare card which entitle you to all the medical benefits just like any other OZ.

So, if you come here for social benefits reason, I suggest you'd rather stay in NZ. If you come to work, there is no difference between kiwi and OZ. If your really need the social benefit, you should consult the Australian embassy in NZ to get your OZ citizenship before moving over.

Reply from anonymous-kiwi 9 years ago.

Hi there, I'm in a situation where I became a guardian to my sister in laws daughter who was going through a mid-life crisis at the time. her baby was just 7 months old at the time. I flew to NZ with this child to care for her temporarily as the biological parent assured me she would collect her child when her situation settled. it's now 17 years later and I have had no contact or know of the whereabouts to the child's mother. Not once the mother has tried to make an effort to find or contact me. The child now 17years if age has grown up all thes years thinking I am her biological mother. I don't want to complicate things so I've never found the courage to tell her. she's so beautiful & a well respected young lady. anyway I am wanting to take my daughter... YES I call her my daughter ... lol I want to take her on a overseas family holiday but I am having trouble with her passport as she's australian.... please help? a lady at embassy said I had to have consent from her biological mum but how is that possible if I don't know where that parent is?? ps: father is unknown. I have the child's original birth cert and her old passport of when she was 7 months. need help asp as to finding steps to getting her a valid passport

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!