Categories
None (yet)
Posted by iwanttoliveinmelbourne 6 years ago.

Applying for Melbourne apartments while overseas

I'm currently apartment hunting with a group of friends - early days but we've not had much luck with the last few properties we've applied for. I'm worrying that I might be the dead weight causing instant dismissal of our lease applications.

• Looking for a 4 bedroom apartment within Melbourne CBD
  • 3 friends i'm applying with are already in Melbourne with jobs
  • I'm in New Zealand, working full time salary, and job hunting in Melbourne
  • I can comfortably handle both the Melbourne and my New Zealand rent while I'm job hunting

My concern is that because I'm overseas, with my job being based in New Zealand - real-estate companies would see me as a liability.

I don't want to miss out on this opportunity to flat with this group of friends, but I don't want to waste their time if they're not going to get anywhere without me being in Melbourne, working.

1 reply on 04 May 2018.
Reply from graciedeska 6 years ago.

Hi there! It is super competitive applying for rental properties in Melbourne. But we've found it helps to do the following:

• Bring your pre-filled application(s) along to the inspection (or have your friends bring it if you won't be there). If you like the place, you can then give it to the agent on the spot and have a better chance of being top of the pile.
  • Get written references that include financial details from your employer/accountant/bank/landlord (all of the above if possible) and include them with your application. This saves the agent the legwork of a dozen phone calls (especially when you are applying as a group of 4) processing your application.

Good luck!

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!