Categories
None (yet)
Posted by packman 8 years ago.

Moved to Australia in February 2012, can I apply for citizenship?

I moved to Australia in February 2012 and was unaware I needed any type of visa. I thought I could come and work here without one and have been doing so for the last 4 and a half years. Recently I have thought about becoming a citizen as to return here after my travels in Europe. I was told I had to wait 5 years to become a citizen of Australia. Now I'm unsure if I should apply for this as I don't want to pay stupid amounts for a visa and wait another 2 years before I can get citizenship. If I apply for citizenship tomorrow would I likely get it or will they want to send me back to nz

1 reply on 22 January 2017.
Reply from azizdam 7 years ago.

You are right, you can live and work in Australia as a New Zealand citizen for as long as you wish. However, you are only on a temporary visa with no pathway to Australian citizenship as you arrived in 2012. You will be on a subclass 444 SCV. These are specifically for NZ citizens entering Australia. As of Feb 2017, you would have lived and worked in Australia, so one pathway that will be opening up in July 2017 is a skilled visa. These are for N Z citizens in your position. It will cost $3,600.00. It is a permanent visa which you must hold for 1 year before being eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!