Categories
None (yet)
Posted by levanah 8 years ago.

Kiwi married to australian

My partner is kiwi and i am an australian who has lived in nz for a decade now. I am wondering if us being married and moving to australia will be easier for him than if we were not married and moved over?

1 reply on 06 July 2016.
Reply from adaz 8 years ago.

Yes being married will be easier for him to apply for a partner visa. If not married you would need to provide evidence that you are in a genuine relationship for 2 years when applying for a partner visa.

Being married to an Australian citizen doesn't give you any special rights.

New Zealanders are granted a temporary visa called a 444 special category visa on arrival in Australia. This visa allows a New Zealander to live and work in Australia indefinitely albeit temprorally. This visa does not lead to Australian citizenship unless he was in Australia on a certain date see Protected SCV below.

I would recommend your husband apply for a permanent visa if you decide to settle in Australia permanently.

Permanent visas that your husband might be eligible for:

Resident Return Visa (RRV). Eligible if he first arrived in Australia before 1 September 1994 even for a holiday. Has to apply from Australia for this visa.

Protected Special Category Visa. Not a permanent visa as such but would be have a right to citizenship after a qualifying period. Would be considered a Protected SCV if happened to be in Australia on 26 February 2001 (or in Australia for a total of 12 months between 26 February 1999 and 25 February 2001.

Partner visa. Need to be married to an Australian. If not married then in a relationship for 2 years before applying. Can apply in Australia or from NZ.

Skilled work visa either applying independently or sponsored by employer. Can apply in Australia or from NZ.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!