Categories
None (yet)
Posted by gabriel 8 years ago.

Do I still qualify to apply for permanent residence visa and eventually for Australian citizenship?

I am a 43 y.o. New Zealand Citizen who would like to migrate to Perth with my two kids and my wife this year. I am a Registered Nurse and would be working the same in Australia. With the new pathways to permanent residency put in place, do I still qualify if I have worked for four years since my arrival with an income of more than Aus$53,000.00 a year and by that time I will be 47 or 48 y.o.? Are there any other options to get a permanent resident visa?

1 reply on 22 August 2016.
Reply from adaz 8 years ago.

Hi Garbie

It does not look like you meet the date requirements. As per the Department of Immigration and Border Protection Website: "This additional visa pathway will be available from 1 July 2017, for New Zealand citizens who arrived post 26 February 2001, but on or before, the date of the announcement, 19 February 2016."

Since you have not yet moved to Australia it looks like you have missed the cut off.

Did you by any chance spend any time in Australia before 1 September 1994 even for a holiday?

Or were you in Australia on 26 February 2001 or for 12 months in the 2 year period immediately before 26 February 2001.

If yes this is a cheaper way to get PR/citizenship if not then you would still be able to apply for: Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

Or

Visas that require you to submit an EOI include; Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 189) Skilled-Nominated visa (subclass 190)

Employer sponsored visa would be preferable to independent sponsored as it is quicker. You have to be on skilled list which I'm sure your occupation is and pass points test ...

Age limit is 50 and current minimum salary is currently $53,900. Your wife and dependent kids can be included on this Visa.

As a kiwi you should be able to apply for this visa onshore or offshore. Just ask hospital if they are willing to sponsor you when you apply for jobs. Some may be willing to foot the bill if they are finding it hard to find local talent ... Otherwise they should at least agree to sponsor if you are paying for the application fees.

Once in Australia for 4 years with at least last year on Permanent Visa you can apply for Australian citizenship.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!