Categories
None (yet)
Posted by bronson 8 years ago.

if I've been working and living in Australia for 12 years does that mean i still come under a SCV

If so does that still mean I have to apply for permanent residency before applying for Australian citizenship

1 reply on 22 August 2016.
Reply from adaz 8 years ago.

It looks that way unfortunately unless you happened to be in Australia on 26 February 2001 or for 12 months in the two years immediately before 26 February 2001.

If not did you happen to be in Australia before 1 September 1994.

If not then would the new pathway help you?

Per Immigration website:

"An additional pathway to permanent residence for ‘non-protected’ Special Category Visa (SCV) holders

​​Options for permanent residen​​ce for 'non-protected' SCV holders

In acknowledgment of our special bilateral relationship, the Australian Government will provide an additional pathway to permanent residence, and therefore citizenship, for New Zealand Special Category visa (SCV) holders who arrived after 26 February 2001, who have lived in Australia for the last five years and shown a commitment and contribution to Australia. This additional visa pathway will be available from 1 July 2017, for New Zealand citizens who arrived post 26 February 2001, but on or before, the date of the announcement, 19 February 2016."

You would need to be earning $53,900 per annum for 5 years in a row to be eligible to apply for this visa.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!