Categories
None (yet)
Posted by findles 8 years ago.

Lived, worked, and owned a home in Australia from 1994 to 2002 when we returned to NZ.

We are considering retuning to Aus, can anyone advise what our eligibility to apply for citizenship would be?

6 replies, the latest on 18 June 2017.
Reply from adaz 8 years ago.

In order to be eligible for Australian citizenship you must be living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying. In addition to this criteria you must be on a permanent visa in the 12 months before applying.

As a NZ who was in Australia in 2001 you may be considered a protected Special Catogery Visa holder. You should be able to apply for citizenship after 4 years.

Contact ozkiwi or iwinaus on Facebook or via their websites for more info.

Reply from brizza 8 years ago.

I am also NZ citizen wishing to gain Australian Citizenship. Arrived in Australia in 1981 worked for approx 4 months and returned back to NZ in 1982. Returned to Australia in 2010 and have been here ever since. Do you have to apply to become a resident before applying for Australian Citizenship?

Hi Izz,

You may be able to apply for a resident return visa (RRV). New Zealanders that first arrived in Australia before 1 September 1994 are eligible to apply. Kiwis didn't get issued a visa before this date. So under this old law you had the same rights as a permanent resident of Australia. This visa would get your permanent residency status back.

You would have to provide compelling reasons why you were away for gaps or more than 5 years. I managed to get my PR this way and went on to get Aussie citizenship in January 2016.

This is the cheapest way of getting your PR. If you're not eligible for this visa there is a new pathway for Kiwis that you might be eligible for.

You should contact ozkiwi and or iwinaus for help. Both organisations have useful RRV guides. And ozkiwiozkiwi has a RRV Support Addy that you can email.

Reply from brizza 8 years ago.

Hi Daz, Congratulations on your Australian citizenship! I really want to get my citizenship so that I can then sponsor my daughters (if that's the word to use) to get theirs.

My daughter's friend has also recently applied and she completed form 1085 which I am currently working through. Waiting on my movement records to come through. I find when searching the sites, you tend to go all over the place, it's just not straight forward, never mind I will keep going! How long does it take all up to become a citizen?

Yes, I do have some large gaps from 1982 - 1979 when I was last in Oz with my daughter who was over here representing NZ in sports, until currently 2009/10 when I came over permanently.

Once I have completed form 1085, do I then need to go through the process of Australian Citizenship, or would this give me that status? This is where I get confused.

I will definitely check out those contacts you suggested.

Hi Izz

Thanks for that. I have moved to Aus in 2005 and was a temporary resident until I got the RRV in 2014.

The 1085 application for RRV will get you Permanent Residency. I got an answer back in week after applying. You need a permanent visa such as the RRV before you can apply for citizenship. You can apply for citizenship after a year on this visa. The citizenship criteria is living in Aus for 4 year with the last year on a permanent visa such as the RRV.

You can sponsor your daughters under the onshore child visa 801 as soon as you RRV is granted.

Ozkiwi was really helpful when I was applying for RRV.

Both ozkiwi and iwinaus have volunteers willing to help kiwis with applying for PR. Worth contacting them to help clarify visa and citizenship rules.

Reply from francis 7 years ago.

I came to Australia in 1969, returned to NZ in 19 71, married an Australian girl in NZ, then we returned to Australia in 1981. I have lived here ever since. I would like to apply for citizenship. I am 68 years of age.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!