Categories
None (yet)
Posted by confused-and-wondering 10 years ago.

How long do I have to live in AU on a temp (unsponsored) visa, before I'm considered settled?

I could have sworn that I read on the immigration website not too long ago (1 month or so ago), that if you've lived in Australia for four years, you are considered settled and could apply for permanent residency. For the life of me I can't find it anymore, but I KNOW I saw it as it caught my attention and I honed in on it (but unfortunately didn't save the page to come back to it later).

Am I crazy, or has someone else heard of this? Someone had told me it was 5 years, but that was on a wiki page so I didn't put much stock in to that information.

3 replies, the latest on 16 August 2014.
Reply from virginia 10 years ago.

Hi there,

What kind of Visa would you be having for those four years? I am, myself, on a temporary partner visa (subclass 309) which allows me to stay and work for 2 years. After that, I should get the permanent Residency. The question to ask before you ask the PR is on what visa do you actually enter Australia?

Reply from confused-and-wondering
OP
10 years ago.

I'm currently on a student visa but don't qualify for anything via skill select or the SOL due to my degree being in the Arts.

Reply from jhon 10 years ago.

Hi, I am a international student in Australia from more than 6 years without going to my country. Do I get my permanent residency? because I am living for so long in Australia.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!