Categories
None (yet)
Posted by leaving-dunedin 16 years ago.

Melbourne or Adelaide, which one is best?

My wife and I are keen to move from Dunedin to Australia in the future. For a while we have been set on Melbourne but now I am starting to look at Adelaide as a option.

Does anyone have any opinions and negative/positive comments about these 2 cities? What is the the deal with Melbourne's weather? Is it really that changeable, does it really get that cold in winter?

We want to get away from Dunedin's poor weather so want to go somewhere definitely better. Adelaide's weather looks better but what do people think of Adelaide?

Job opportunities seem a little limited, which is why Melbourne appeals so much. Does anyone find Melbourne too big? Is traffic a problem?

8 replies, the latest on 10 February 2023.
Reply from lukey 2 years ago.

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I grew up & currently live in Adelaide but have lived in Melbourne twice for a year each time.

Most obviously - Melbourne is about 5x bigger than Adelaide. With that comes a lot more variety in terms of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. It also means it's a LOT more congested, although the public transport system is far better than in Adelaide. It is common and generally easy to not own a car in Melbourne and driving is a total nightmare. The roads are congested pretty much all the time, most are in desperate need of repair (except the toll roads which cost a fortune). The weather in Melbourne is colder and extremely erratic - hence earning the saying '4 seasons in a day' which often happens.

Adelaide in contrast is more like a large country town, a bit isolated and almost a bit 'behind the times' in a lot of ways. However the weather is far nicer and more consistent (obviously still gets cold in winter and in contrast extremely hot in summer - common to have weeks of 40-45 degree daytime highs) but the beaches are beautiful, easy to access and not crowded. Most of the nightlife is literally in the city centre (Hindley St & Rundle St) with only really large pubs in the suburbs. You really will need a car & driving is much much easier in Adelaide, which is handy because public transport really is inadequate - bus coverage is good but infrequent outside of peak times. There are 2 main train lines & 1 tram route. The roads & transit is never congested outside of peak times, and even then it's not that bad compared to Melbs.

Reply from melbourne-no-way 2 years ago.

Adelaide is a beautiful city of Churches and Green Parks. It is also referred to as the Festival State, where Artists come from around the world to perform regularly.

There is our Art and Music scene, the delicious food and wine of the stunning Barossa Valley, the beautiful Adelaide hills, our vibrant CBD and picturesque coast. Plus Kangaroo island to explore, just to name a few.

Adelaide is clean, tidy, safe and affordable. Voted one of the Worlds most liveable cities. So if you don"t like crime, grime, the cold and rain, expensive and frantic living, then skip Melbourne and come to us!

Reply from iwaseyewitness 1 year ago.

I moved from small town Quebec to Melbourne and have been living there for 8 months. Being familiar with Montreal, I found Melbourne had everything festive and cultural Montreal had, but better, cleaner, safer, better weather overall (but highly variable within a given day) and more “European-like”.

I especially love the car-free life I now have, living in the St Kilda inner suburb. Transit is at least “ok” and “excellent” if you actively search for a home and a job that are well served. But I would recommend bike bike bike (or e-bike ). It’s faster than getting around in a car sometimes. Melbourne is pretty flat (so is Adelaide).

Reply from little-helper 16 years ago.

If you are simply comparing the cities, then there is no contest - Melbourne wins. It's more cultural, more diverse, there are more opportunities etc. The weather in Melbourne is nothing to worry about!

Traffic is a problem in places, yes. You just need to get to know the city and learn to avoid certain parts during peak times. Try to visit both cities before deciding but once you are here, what's stopping you from moving from one to the other anyway?

Reply from kiwi 16 years ago.

Melbourne weather's about as variable as Auckland. I think Auckland weather was worse. It does get fairly cold in Winter (compared to Auckland) but I think coming from Dunedin you should be fine. It gets fairly hot in summer too though. But that also goes for Adelaide.

Adelaide is smaller than Melbourne, so much less of a traffic problem, but depending on what kind of job you are looking for you might have better chances in Melbourne.

Reply from deano 15 years ago.

I spend alot of time commuting reasonable often to Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne for work and family.

I must admit once i visited Adelaide a few times, i realised how beautiful the place is. Yes its tougher for work but it has just over a 1 Mil population so its reasonable. SA is a gorgeous part of Australia to explore too. Lifestyle and food is hard to beat.

I will be based in Melbourne for work and i liked Sydney more than Melbourne for dining and shopping. But if i had to choose for permanent living, i would go Adelaide. Weather is more tolerable. However, anything is better than Auckland for weather and lifestyle!!

Reply from anonymous 13 years ago.

Adelaide for sure!!!! I lived their for 2 years and have only lasted 5 months in Melbourne.. Where do I start! In Melbourne the traffic is so bad, if theirs and accident on the freeway, forget getting home on time, more expensive, more crime, and I had more trouble finding work in Melbourne, than in Adelaide,

I know someone who had the same problem moving over here, living in Melbourne I don't feel safe at all! Adelaide is really beautiful and much better weather, Melbourne is freezing in the winter for sure, good luck!! I think you will love Adelaide

Reply from robert 2 years ago.

I was born in Adelaide and have lived in Melbourne and Sydney.

Traffic wise Adelaide beats them all. Weather wise Adelaide is moderate cold in winter but not as cold as Melbourne Sydney is ideal. Some hot days in summer but not as stifling as Melbourne. Sydney is excellent.

Adelaide Night-life is adequate but not to the extent of Melbourne. Surroundings Adelaide has everything in a closer proximity and easier to see with a lot less traffic. Public Transport is adequate during the day but night transport is only really good for the City excellent sightseeing.

Employment not as good as Melbourne or Sydney

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!