None (yet)
Posted by eug 16 years ago.

Kiwi with Thai wife moving to Australia

Hi I am a New Zealander and I and my Thai wife and my son want to move to Australia. My wife will first use a 6 month tourist visa, after that we want to get her a spouse visa. My question is - can Kiwis do this in Australia? Thanks P.S I haven't lived in Australia for over 20 years. Eug

4 replies, the latest on 22 October 2010.
Reply from mayflower 15 years ago.

From my understanding of things, to get a permanent visa for your partner you may need to get residency yourself first. Contact immigration for further information. (

Reply from cheers 15 years ago.

Yes she can come with you and stay with you in Australia. It is irrelevant that you didnt stay in New zealand

Reply from cheers 15 years ago.

But you will need to apply for a New Zealand Family Relationship (Subclass 461) Temporary residence visa for your wife to accompany NZ citizen husband. check this link out on Aus Immigration website - for reqd. info on forms, fees and other relavent information. The visa is valid for 5 years and she will be eligible to apply for a renewal.. processing time can take upto 4 months.. Your wife will have to accompany you on your onward journey to Australia, and she WILL be required to take Australian private health insurance cover as she will not be eligible for Medicare. .

Reply from nzjono 13 years ago.

My wife is also Thai and we are considering a move to Australia. She has Kiwi PR...will she be eligible for medicare? What sort of visa should she get?

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!