None (yet)
Posted by steven 16 years ago.

Can I drive in Australia on a NZ or UK drivers licence?

If so, for how long? Do I have to take a driving test in Australia?

Reply from forum moderator 7 months ago on 3 November 2023.

For the latest information about driving in Australia on a NZ license and converting your NZ driver license to an Australian driver license, please read our Driving in Australia page. We update it regularly.

17 replies, the latest on 14 January 2023.
Reply from kiwi-chick 16 years ago.

Yes - but only for 3 months. You should check with the state related road authority (i know Victoria is if you are on a full licence you should not have to re-sit the test, if you are on a restricted or limited licence you may depending on age etc.

Reply from kj 13 years ago.

Yes. only for 3 months then you must sit the test for that state. (Note driving test just test via computer) at the RTA

Reply from sd 13 years ago.

In Victoria: On an NZ license you need to apply within 3 months. On a UK license you have 6 months to apply. It takes up to a couple of weeks to book an appointment. At the appointment a form is provided, eye test completed and your photo taken - a paper license is given to you and you receive your existing UK or NZ license back. Small fee ($43 or so for 3 years).

Reply from gc-couple 12 years ago.

Converted our NZ licence to Qld one, filled out the forms on the first day in the GC, gave 100 points of ID, got a paper licence on the spot, plastic one arrived in the mail 8 days later $120 and no tests, EASY.

Reply from lamon 12 years ago.

We are moving to Brisbane and am currently on a restricted licence NZ and understand i can use my NZ licence for three months but once that three months is up do they transfer to a restricted queensland licence or do i need to resit a test, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply from dave2013 12 years ago.

What about newzealand truck licenses?.Are they that easy?. Thanks!

Reply from kaitia2melbs 11 years ago.

I reckon Victoria is the easier state to convert your license. Yes, you get 3 months driving on arrival until you convert it. If you have a NZ Full....less restrictions than restricted or learner **Make an appointment with VicRoads...rock up...'BANG'...Full Vic..(only a few Common ID bullshit such as your NZ Full, Certificate of Particulars, Passport, something with your Vic address such as a utility bill but not really, but yeh nah, probably aye, Bank card, etc

ANYWAY, GO TO THE VicRoad Website CHECK THE FINER DETAILS THOUGH, BUT JUST THE ID REQUIREMENTS, IT'S PRETTY STRAIGHT FOWARD AND EASY........excuse the over exaggerated kiwi slang but I know first hand from my experience when I first landed in Melbs.

If you got a NZ Restricted....restricted just a little bit:-/ but some cops are sweet as cuzz.:-D Same process but I know first hand you need a Certificate of Particulars, your NZ Restricted, Passport, Bank card. But like I say, check the web site and check the finer details.

With restricted license holders, if your over the age of 25 and have held a restricted for 5 years or more since you were 18. Then YEAH BOY!!! straight to a full bro, even if the license is expired no more than 5 year,,,,still sweet....

Learner license??! I can't be bothered, I came in with a restricted walk out with a full ;-D

Also with the 3 month deal before converting.........I was on a NZ Restricted for a year I only changed because it expired after that year.......the 3 month recounts again if you went back to NZ.....when I got waved at a random check point, I always said I been here for 2 months.......what the po po gonna do??. Call the airline? Nah cuzz

Reply from meg 10 years ago.

Does anyone know the regs for NZ Full licence holders moving to Melbourne?

Reply from i-live-in-melbourne 9 years ago.

you can drive on a nz licence for 3 months, you need to get from the NZ transport agency (which you can get online) 1 letter of "Demerit point and Offence History" and 1 letter of "Certificate of particulars." make an appointment at VICroads pay a heap of money and you have yourself a licence. cant remember what else you need but you can find it all on vicroads site and or give them a call

Reply from westwardho 9 years ago.

Does anyone know how hard/easy it is in WA ?

Reply from sorting 9 years ago.

Hi We're moving to Brisbane I have a full NZ licence how do I convert that to a Queensland licence? Much appreciated.

Reply from mrdoug 8 years ago.

I have Class 2 NZ License will have class 4 when i go to Australia.

How does it work to get Aussie equivalent ?

Reply from johnson 6 years ago.

Does any one know how to transfer drivers endorsement from new Zealand to Australia? Thanks

Reply from isildursheir 5 years ago.

Any experience for converting NZ Restricted to NSW? Do I need a Certificate of Particulars?

Reply from bello 3 years ago.

Question: I have full NZ license, and reside in NSW at the moment have only been here for 6 weeks. My question is: what if you are in one state and move to another state after the initial 3 months of changing to an Australian license? What is the criteria? Does it affect your license if so?

Reply from aucklander 1 year ago.

I have full NZ driver licence, but I have 70 demerit points from my licence. I would like to move to Brisbane and I want to know can those demerit points affect to transfer NZ driver licence to Australian driver licence?

Reply from aucklander 1 year ago.

I have full NZ driver licence, but I have 70 demerit points from my licence. I would like to move to Brisbane and I want to know can those demerit points affect to transfer NZ driver licence to Australian driver licence? Sorry, I repeat again same question because I didn’t link my email with page. Please if you can answer it again, coz can’t read your previous respond. Thank you for your time and kindness.

Buy Us A Coffee?Have we helped you? Please keep this site running. We‘ve helped thousands of people with their move to Australia but very few give anything back. Maybe you will?