Categories
None (yet)
Posted by mtaguide 12 years ago.

What Are The Supermarket Brands In Australia?

What are the brands of supermarkets in Australia and how do they compare to brands I might be used to in New Zealand?

Reply from forum moderator 5 months ago on 7 November 2023.

The two big brands are Coles and Woolworths. In terms of market share, the third largest is the German chain Aldi and fourth is a network of independent stores branded IGA.

In our experience Woolworths generally has better quality fruit and veg, and Coles has a bigger range of basics. Aldi can have much cheaper basics but you typically won't recognise the brands on offer.

For fruit and veg, we always prefer local merkets. Generally the prices are lower, and the quality is better and more consistent. Because the produce is fresher, it tends to last longer too.

Here's a recent 7News piece that talks about the big players:

1 reply on 25 March 2012.
Reply from alishaisha 12 years ago.

Hi there im in Perth and we have Coles (which i find is similar to countdown), woolworths (same as nz) and IGA (similiar to pak n save..I shop at coles because i like the quality they have 2 brands which are smart buys thats the basics brand plain packaging and cheapest prices and they have coles which is a little bit more expensive and better, prettier coloured packaging.

When i first shopped here a lot of the brands seemed very strange and american to me..I think the brands are the same cheaper for budget and a bit more for quality..we pay $2 for a 2litre milk and $3 for a 3litre, also $1 for bread..things are alot more affordable than i hear they are back home.

Hope this helps a bit?

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!