Posted by nikau01 on 08/11/2011

Moving to Melbourne with special needs child?

We are moving to melbourne next year. Our 8 yo Daughter has down syndrome and attends a main stream school with the support of a funded teacher aide. Will she be entitled to something similar under this recipricol agreement between the countries?

#1 response from griselda at 04:57 on Sat, 19 November 2011

Hmm I'm not 100% sure on this one. On the one hand Centrelink says that New Zealanders generally cannot claim disability support payments, as you need to be a permanent resident to get these. http://www.centrelink....

However, the NZEmbassy says that these payments might be able to continue with the reciprocal agreement: http://www.nzembassy.c...

I would definitely suggest contacting Centrelink to clarify your daughter's eligibility before making the move.

All the best!

Add Your Voice

Participate in this topic by posting a reply below.

This is the name that will appear on your comment - choose anything you like but keep it clean!

All HTML tags will be stripped from your comment.

Spam alert: When submitting your question, you might be asked to prove that you are a human rather than a robot. Just complete the simple challenge to have your post submitted.