Categories
None (yet)
Posted by goody4roxy 13 years ago.

Moving to Australia: how would we or could we be covered by Australian Heathcare for transplant?

We are wanting to move to Australia for our daughter, she is 2, to get a kidney transplant quicker, she is on dialysis 12hrs per day. Just be a long wait in NZ on the list. Just wondering whether we would be covered by Medicare I assume?? If I apply for this.. how would this go with her medical costs? We are under the public system in NZ is it similar in Australia???? Thanks!

8 replies, the latest on 03 June 2023.
Reply from griselda 13 years ago.

Medicare does cover a proportion of most health costs for New Zealand citizens, although there is usually still some out of pocket expenses to pay.

Unfortunately the waiting list for a kidney transplant in Australia is also very long, and the typical wait is between 4-7 years (http://www.kidney.org.au/Transplantation/OrganDonationFastFacts/tabid/643/Default.aspx)

To be honest, I'm not really sure you'd be much better in Australia for this as the waiting list in NZ is a bit shorter at 3-5 years from what I've read.

I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about it as they may also be able to give you some advice about kidney treatment and care in Australia.

Reply from george 10 years ago.

The comment about transplants is 3 years old. I'm looking at moving to Melbourne and will need to do dialysis. Has anything changed with New Zealanders being entitled to kidney treatment and transplants?

Reply from alias61 9 years ago.

Hi, I was also wanting to know about dialysis & transplant in Australia. I am about to start dialysis soon and I'm wanting to move to Australia from NZ,is dialysis covered by Medicare? And would I be able to get assistance from centrelink until I am fit enough to work.

Reply from christo 9 years ago.

Hi to all fellow kidney patients, I am running at about 17% of total kidney function and am too looking at moving to Oz to be Around family.Bendigo to be exact. I am also interested in any advice/info that may assist myself and others who are contemplating a similar journey I look forward to any and all replies! Cheers Chris

Reply from jani 9 years ago.

Hi, My partner has been living and working in Australia for 9 mths and I a wanting to join him. My dilemma is I am a haemodialysis home patient and need dialysis treatment while I'm there, I am considering anything at this stage so I was wondering if anyone had information on New Zealanders entitlement to kidney treatment and or if anyone could share experience or advice.

Anything would be much appreciated. Thanks kindly Jani

Reply from aaron 2 years ago.

Hi, I am also wanting to move to Australia from NZ. My partner is currently on haemodialysis and goes to the clinic 3x a week. We have medicare, will we be able to use our medicare so he can go on dialysis and will it cost? Will he also be entitled to some sort of payment until he is able to work?

Reply from megan-nick-and-taleah 2 years ago.

Hi, my husband and I would like to move to Australia next year, and I’m on dialysis. Was wanting to know how that would work. We are looking at the Sunshine Coast area. Can we get Medicare, will we have to pay, and how do we go about the whole process. Would love to hear from someone with some information. Thanks so much

Reply from jeannette 11 months ago.

Hi, I am also wanting to move to Australia (Brisbane). My partner is currently on hemodialysis. Has any one on here made the move and answer any of the questions asked. There isn't much info online.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!