Categories
None (yet)
Posted by kiwibookz 13 years ago.

NZ citizen who has lived in Australia previously. Does this give me a faster path to PR/Citizenship?

I am a NZ citizen who lived in Australia 1982-86 (age 14-18), got Queensland school qualifications, driver's licence, tax ID etc but then I returned to NZ and have lived here since. My parents and siblings stayed in Australia and got dual citizenship. I'm now 43 and considering moving (back) to Australia. Do I have any headstart on gaining Australian permanent residency or citizenship; or do I have to start over/in the same situation as other Kiwis?

1 reply on 05 July 2011.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

It's possible you may have a head-start....I found this: "were outside Australia on 26 February 2001, but were in Australia as an SCV holder for a total of 12 months in the two years prior to that date, and subsequently returned to Australia" here http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/17nz.htm

But the 'subsequently returned to Australia' may mean you needed to move back to Australia sooner than now. It would be worth checking with Australian immigration to find out for sure.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!