Categories
None (yet)
Posted by laya 13 years ago.

Gay scene in Australian cities/suburbs?

I'm looking at possibly moving myself and my cats to Australia within the next few years. At the moment I'm looking mainly at Brisbane or possibly Melbourne though I would be open to moving to other cities if I had a good reason to (I consider a strong queer community to be a good reason to move somewhere).

Are there any Australian cities (or suburbs within Brisbane or Melbourne) that have a good reputation for queer community/acceptance and events? Is there anywhere I should avoid? I have pride patches on bags and clothing, so it would be a bad idea to live anywhere where violent homophobia is a risk.

1 reply on 01 August 2011.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

Sydney is well known for its gay community and events, including the yearly Mardi Gras. Melbourne is also pretty gay-friendly, although I would say that the closer you live to the center of the city, the more tolerant and open-minded people are in general! I think that rule probably applies to most cities in Australia - the further out you go, the less likely you are to find diversity, and thus there can be some narrow-minded views. I would Google gay forums in Australia to find out more specific detail. All the best!

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!