Categories
None (yet)
Posted by moving-to-adelaide 13 years ago.

NZ restricted license to (full?) South Australian license?

I'm moving to Adelaide soon and I've had my NZ restricted for 4 years now and I'm over 19 years old. Can I get my full South Australian license or do I have to have South Australian resticted/P2?? I contacted the SA transport agency and they were really really unclear - some staff said I can get full SA license as I'm over 19 and had my NZ restricted for over 3 years (like NSW and QLD) BUT then others said no, I can only get Aussie equivalent = P2. And the latest one (the most infuriating answer yet) said that South Australia recognises NZ restricted license as being equivalent to South Australian LEARNERS license!! Because of current circumstances, I'm unable to sit my NZ full license.

4 replies, the latest on 30 August 2022.
Reply from answer 13 years ago.

I e-mailed the SA government site and got this response (hopefully they stick with this answer and don't chop and change!):

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please bring written evidence from the New Zealand Licensing authority regarding your current licence as well as your New Zealand photo driver’s licence. You should be eligible for a full South Australian licence.

An applicant who holds, or has held within the preceding five years, a New Zealand Driver’s Licence, is exempt from the requirement to undertake and pass a practical driving test for all licence classes. A New Zealand class 5 Heavy Vehicle Driver’s Licence will not automatically convert to a South Australian Multi Combination (MC) classification. You may be issued with a Heavy Combination (HC) classification in the first instance. If you wish to obtain the MC class you must provide evidence from an employer in New Zealand that you have operated multi combination vehicles in New Zealand.

To apply for a South Australian Driver’s Licence you will need to attend a Service SA Customer Service Centre with evidence of your identity. Please refer to website for a list of accepted documents:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Drivers+and+licences/Maintaining+and+updating+your+driver's+licence/Evidence+of+identity

Identification will be your current NZ Driver’s Licence, passport and documentation from Category B, e.g. Medicare card, financial institution account card with signature and embossed name, and your South Australian residential address, e.g. rental/lease agreement, utilities bill (an electricity or gas for example) or bank statement. http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Boating+and+marine/Boat+operators,+licences+and+permits/Evidence+of+age+and+identity

An Application for Driver’s Licence needs to be completed which can be downloaded here: http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/forms/205.pdf

A photo of you will be taken, and a temporary Driver’s Licence will then be issued. Your photographic licence will then be posted to you. A South Australian Driver’s Licence can be obtained for a period between 1 and 10 years. The fee is $37.00 per year plus a $17.00 administration fee.

Kind regards, staff SERVICE SA Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure

Reply from amy 6 years ago.

Hi, I am going to move to Adelaide soon. I'm a NZ citizen, but I have a valid Indian licence. Can it get converted to an Australian Licence?

Reply from william-baker 5 years ago.

I have my NZ license but I have lost the card itself when I moved here . What can I do?

Reply from jibs 2 years ago.

I have NZ license with supervisor condition for more than 5 years. Am I able to convert to an Australian full license?

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!