Categories
None (yet)
Posted by 6kays 13 years ago.

How long does it take to become an Australian permanent resident?

I am thinking of going over to Australia to live for awhile and then get back into my postgraduate studies. I was wondering if you can get the Australian equivalent of the student loan as a permanent resident? And how long would that take? Or do you have to become a citizen?

3 replies, the latest on 23 October 2017.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

Hi there,

It takes a while to become an Australian citizen: You have to have been living in Australia for a minimum of 4 years, and at least 12 months of that time as a permanent resident (New Zealanders have to apply for a permanent resident visa to become a citizen, just like anyone else).

Unfortunately you can't get any study allowances in Australia as a NZ citizen. More information is here: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/factors/nz_policy.htm

Reply from mordeshoor 11 years ago.

Hi, i am living in australia about 1 year and i am in bridging visa (E) class 050 i am waiting for my permanent residency,i am allowded to work an live in australia until i get my permanent, do you think this 1 year that i have lived in australia does it calculate for my citizenship? Thank you

Reply from hector 6 years ago.

If i am a permanent resident with a New Zealand passport that is due to run out in December 2017, and I want to become an Australian citizen, how long will it take? As I don't want to have to pay 10yrs for another NZ passport.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!