Categories
None (yet)
Posted by lynn 13 years ago.

Earning income in New Zealand and Australia during the same financial year.

When you permanently immigrate to Australia, what happens if you work 2 months in New Zealand and then work the rest of the financial year in Australia? Do you include earnings from Australia on your New Zealand tax return? Or do you put in a tax return in New Zealand and a separate return in Australia for the balance?

2 replies, the latest on 15 February 2013.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

Hi there,

So you worked for 2 months in NZ at the start of the financial year, and then migrated permanently to Australia?

If this is the case, you do need to complete a tax return in NZ for those two months as you were still a NZ resident for tax purposes at that time.

For the period after you moved to Australia you complete an Australian tax return.

If you still are unsure, I would recommend getting advice from an accountant.

Reply from kiwiozzie 11 years ago.

If anyone wants to contract me about this, I am also confused about it and have bits of information from either side of the Tasman. frisbee.golf at hotmail.com

By the way if anyone wants a rental house or to by my house/s on Gold Coast or Brisbane let me know, I have 3 of them.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!