Categories
None (yet)
Posted by teets 13 years ago.

Can I apply for a tax file number for my children as well as for myself before I go to Australia?

In NZ my children have an I.R.D number so we can get family support from the I.R.D. Does the same go for Australia? I read that I can apply for this while still in NZ. Would my children need to have a T.F.N also? What would be the reasons, if any, as to why they would need this number? Should I still apply to get them one even if they won't need it now?

3 replies, the latest on 13 June 2011.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

Hi there, You can apply for a TFN once you reach Australia, but not while in NZ as you need some form of Australian ID (e.g. Medicare card or an Australian driver's licence). Your children don't need a TFN unless they are working, as like the IRD number, it is only for tax payers. Once you have your TFN you can then use it to apply for Family Assistance payments and more info about these can be found here: http://www.familyassist.gov.au/

Reply from kjean 13 years ago.

Hello there, just a bit of clarification there. My children between ages 2-10 do have an IRD number even if they don't work. It has been required when I applied for family assistance here in NZ. Don't know about them having the TFN in Australia. Will do research on that as we plan to go early next year. Cheers.

Reply from sasha 13 years ago.

hi no youdont need a tax file number it's nothing like bk in nz me and my family have just moved here tax file number can only b applyed for once your here and can take up to 28 days u need this as well as a bank account for address plus medicare,it's hard at first but the wait for all doc is worth it when u first get here i strongly suggest you do bank account tax file then medicare then u can receave centrelinks money for having a family

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!