Categories
None (yet)
Posted by mrsmrfy 13 years ago.

Can my NZ indefinite returning residents visa be transferred to a new British passport if I am living in Australia?

Sorry to be a pest but I am worried about losing my NZ permanent residency if my passport expires when in Australia. I have an indefinite returning resident's visa in my British passport. However, this passport expires in Jan 2014. If I go to OZ on subclass 461 visa and stay for the allocated time of 5 years then my passport will expire. While I would imagine I can apply for a new passport in Australia, can I aaply to have my returning resident's visa transferred even though I won't be residing NZ? According to what I have read, an application form is not required to have this transferred, just a fee. Will this be possible to do in Australia? I had to renew it before but of course it wasn't a problem because I was living here and took my application in person to the NZ immigration office in Auckland. I suppose I could come back and do it here, but then they would see that I have been out the country for 3 years! Any help on this would be great. I'm beginning to think that applying for NZ citizenship would be the best option BUT I believe this can take as long as year! I don't have that much time as my husband is hoping to start work there by end of March at the latest! Sorry if this query is confusing.

4 replies, the latest on 15 October 2019.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

I think these links will answer your question: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/alreadyinnz/residents/rrvholder/ http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/1137 From reading this it sounds to me like your RRV will be transferred to your new passport automatically, so you don't need to worry.

Reply from derek 12 years ago.

Yes, you can transfer your indefinite PR visa to your british passport. You will not lose the indefinite permanant visa if you had two continious years. If you had the indefinite visa less than two years, then there will be a problem when it expired if you are outside NZ.

Reply from puzzled-pom 4 years ago.

I have just received my renewed British Passport and there is no indication that my Indefinite Returning Residency visa is included. I am hoping it is somewhere in there with my other information. We visit Australia regularly and it is necessary to have that visa.. Anyone able to confirm that it has been included? Thanks.

Reply from puzzled-pom-2 4 years ago.

Have just been in contact with NZ immigration and NO the IRR Visa is NOT included. We have just got all the details to apply for it again. It costs $120 or so for a visa to be put IN your new UK passport or you can get an electronic visa you keep with your passport on a separate sheet of paper, is free. Another point - it may be a good idea to request that you have your old passport returned even if it costs OR photocopy all of your old passport before you post it to the UK. Thank goodness we had done that. Good luck.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!