Categories
None (yet)
Posted by mrsmrfy 13 years ago.

Do I apply for 461 visa here in NZ or when I get to Australia?

Thank you Grace for answering my last question about keeping my permanent residency. Sorry to be a pest but I have more questions. I have been ringing the Australian Consulate but never get through and they never ring back. as I said before, I will be going to australia this year with my Kiwi husband and daughter (11) and my 19 year old daughter (she is not my husband's biological daughter). My 19 year old lives with us but she has a job, so I presume that she is not classed as a 'dependent' child, but from what I read the 461 visa is eligible to relatives of the partner of the NZ citizen (this covers my daughter then?). the other question is, do we apply here before we go, or do we go as visitors (tourists) with our British passports and then apply for the 461 visa when we get there? It is frustrating not knowing what to do, the travel agent can arrange a ETA for us to get in to Australia but is this the wrong way to do it. I don't want to do the wrong thing. We don't have dates yet so we can't specify a date for travel. If anyone can help this would be much appreciated.

1 reply on 06 January 2011.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

No worries, happy to help! I'm pretty sure your daughter will still be eligible for the 461 visa seeing she is still living at home with you. It's frustrating that the consulate aren't taking your calls! Have you tried emailing them as well?

You could just call Australian Immigration when you arrive in Australia, as you can apply for you 461 visa either in NZ or in Australia. According to the Australian Immigration website: "You can be either in Australia or outside Australia when you apply for this visa." http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/461/eligibility.htm

Or, you could get some expert advice from an agent before you go (for a fee). We recommend using http://www.myaustralianvisa.com/.

All the best!

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!