Categories
None (yet)
Posted by mrsmrfy 13 years ago.

Can my 18-year-old daughter get a 461 visa or should she get New Zealand citizenship and then go to Australia?

Hi there, My husband (NZ citizen) wants to go and live/work in OZ. He is an electrician and I am a teacher (I am NOT a NZ citizen but I have NZ PR). My 18-year-old daughter only has PR also but my youngest daughter (aged 11) was born here in NZ so would therefore be allowed to go and live in Australia.

I have read the posts here and on the net and it looks as though I would definitely qualify for a subclass 461 visa if I travelled with my hubby on his 444 visa.

However, I would not want to go without my daughter but it said on the website that DEPENDENT children could obtain the 461. She is 18 and has a full time job but still lives at home with us. PS. My husband is not her biological father, nor did he adopt her.

We looked into applying for NZ citizenship but it looks like it could take up to a year! This is much longer than my husband wants to wait and I don't want him to go on without us. So, after a longwinded 'novel' - can my daughter obtain an subclass 461 on my husbands SC444 visa even although she is 18 and not officially dependent?

The other query I have regarding the subclass 461 visa is - how much would it cost for medical insurance for me (as I read that I would not be eligible for Medicare?

Thanks for any input.

5 replies, the latest on 27 August 2013.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

Hi again mrsmrfy,

Pleased I could help with your other question and hope I can shed some light on this one! I am one of the owners of this site by the way :)

After reading about the 461 visa, I would say that with 2 members of your family NZ citizens, you and your 18-year-old daughter would almost certainly be eligible this visa.

To find out for sure, I would recommend contacting the Australian embassy in NZ on: 64 9 921 8800 (ACG) immigration.auckland@dfat.gov.au

All the best!

Grace

Reply from mrsmrfy
OP
13 years ago.

Oh, that sounds great! In actual fact my 24 year old son is also an NZ citizen ( he applied for and was granted this years ago when he had a notion to join the NZ Navy (he didn't in the end as it took so long to come through, and by that time he had gone off the idea.) At the time it was too expensive for us all to apply for it,but i wish we had now! My son also wants to go to Australia, so that would be another member of the family on a 444.

Thanks again for all your help.

Reply from steveinuk 11 years ago.

Same question but my daughter is a UK resident living in the UK, I am eligible for a190 visa

Reply from policespecial 11 years ago.

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I am an kiwi married to a UK reisdent with a 15 year old daughter and an 18 year old daughter with a 1 year old son (ie my gradson). I'm sure I'm a 444, wife and daughters a 461 but is the gradson also a 461?

Thanks

Reply from laura 11 years ago.

I came out of the uk 7 years ago and am a resident now. My 33 year old son back in the uk wants to come over here to live with me and my aussie husband. He needs a carer as he cannot work due to mental illness and health problems. Can my son come to Australia if we care for him? He has half sisters and half brothers that he doesn't really see much at all? Would appreciate if you can advise. Thank you

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!