Categories
None (yet)
Posted by mrsmrfy 13 years ago.

Can I teach in Australia?

Hi, we are thinking of moving to Australia. I have a Bachelor of Education from the University of Auckland (3 yr degree) and I want to be able to continue teaching in Australia. Someone has told me that a NZ teaching qualification is not recognised in OZ (I think this might be just some states). Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, my husband is an industrial electrician who is hoping to find a decent paying job. What's the likelihood of this? Thanks for any input.

3 replies, the latest on 10 November 2010.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

I think you can apply for registration under the Mutual Recognition act in Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory, but not in NSW and ACT. e.g. http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/registration/apply-for-registration/all-other-applicants/Pages/MutualRec.aspx

I'm sure your husband will be able to find a job in his area, but he will almost certainly need some local licences/qualifications. I quickly searched some job listings for Industrial Electricians in Australia, and it looks like he would need an Electrical License from the Australian State he will be working in. Requirements can vary between state to state, so it would be well worth doing some research into this before you decide where to live.

Good luck!

Reply from mrsmrfy
OP
13 years ago.

Thank you so much for the time you have taken to answer my question (and those of many others). I will certainly check out the link you posted for me and look into electrical registration requirements for my husband. He has heard that there is a lot of work in WA (Karratha and such like).

Thanks again Graciedecka for you help

Reply from mrsmrfy
OP
13 years ago.

Thanks so much for the time you have taken to answer my questions (and those of others). It really is very kind of you to go to so much trouble, especially taking the time to look up information on the net. I will certainly check out the link you posted regarding the teaching quals.

I will also look into the electrical reg requirements for different states. My husband has been looking at WA. particularly Karratha and places that have a LNG industry.

Thanks again for your help. p.s I do have another query regarding to subclass 461 visa but I'll post that on a different thread.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!