Categories
None (yet)
Posted by caitlin 14 years ago.

Living costs and finding work in Melbourne

Hey everyone

I've been reading through all the questions and have found the information really useful. I'm looking at moving to Melbourne in the next few months to work and have a few questions:

1. How much does it cost on average for rent? I've going by myself, but don't mind sharing with others.
  2. How much is it for power, phone, electricity?
  3. How long has it taken people to find a job? I was planning on applying while in NZ and advising them of the dates I'd be arriving, to get a head start.
  4. With all the costs taken into consideration, are you better off financially then in NZ?

Thanks for your help!

1 reply on 09 November 2010.
Reply from graciedeska 13 years ago.

Hi Caitlin,

You'll love Melbourne - good choice!

To answer your questions...

1. How much does it cost on average for rent? I've going by myself, but don't mind sharing with others. If you are sharing with others in the inner suburbs, you'll probably need to look at paying between $100 and $180/week. The further out of the city you go, the cheaper it is.

2. How much is it for power, phone, electricity? Power is cheaper in Australia than NZ and is billed quarterly rather than monthly. I would say you would be looking at about $100-$150 a quarter for power. For phone, our Telstra bill was $49.95/month. You also need to pay for water, which is only about $30-$60 a quarter.

3. How long has it taken people to find a job? I was planning on applying while in NZ and advising them of the dates I'd be arriving, to get a head start. Most people I know have found a job in Australia within 1 month of arriving. Sometimes it can take longer depending on the industry. It's a good idea to apply while you're in New Zealand, although be aware that Australian employees don't always take these applications seriously.

4. With all the costs taken into consideration, are you better off financially then in NZ? We have definitely noticed a difference financially in Australia. Salaries are higher and taxes are lower. Utilities also seem a bit less. On the other hand, rent is quite a bit higher!

All the best with your move!

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!