Categories
None (yet)
Posted by hard-worker 14 years ago.

Can my permanent residency be backdated to when I moved here?

When I moved over here I had to prove I had severed all ties with NZ to get my Medicare card. I proved I had terminated my lease, closed my bank accounts and sold my car. I thought the Medicare was proof that I was a permanent resident. I have lived and worked here for more than three years (full time work). Recently I needed time off to get a really bad dermatitis breakout under control and was told I could get no help as I wasn't a permanent resident. Clearly I am and have proved it!

1 reply on 31 August 2010.
Reply from nzdong 14 years ago.

The truth is, you are not a permanent resident, very unfortunately, unless you moved to OZ before Feb 2001. To get PR, you have to apply for it just like any other nationalities do.

I have to admit that there are a lot of unfairness between OZ and NZ. For example, if an OZ PR goes to NZ, he/she automatically get NZ PR. Listen, OZ PR not even OZ citizen!!!

However, an NZ citizen goes to OZ, he/she is only a resident with one exception - no social benefit. You can get medicare card but it doesn't mean you are a PR. This treaty was effective from Feb 2001.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!