Categories
None (yet)
Posted by andriana 14 years ago.

NZ citizen in Australia made redundant. Is there any help from Work and Income?

Hi there, we moved to Australia 4 years ago and never applied for permanent residence. My husband was made redundant 8 months ago and that's when we were made aware that there is no help for NZ citizens from Centerlink. I was wondering, is there any way to get help from Work and Income in NZ while we reside in OZ?

Also, are there any other benefits - like help with power bills etc that we could apply to get from Centerlink?

I could not find more information and it just doesn't feel right. To be able pay the bills I got a second job, but now my tax is sky high.

Any suggestions?

2 replies, the latest on 28 April 2011.
Reply from nzjono 14 years ago.

I can tell you that you will get no assistance from WINZ unfortunately.

Reply from kj 13 years ago.

We have lived in sydney for past 8 years, my husband initially had a job to come to from NZ but decided to move on, after that he has been in and out of jobs due to closures or bigger companies taking over smaller companies and so on. To date (April 2011) He has been out of a job for nearly two years, they dont want the more reliable slightly older males to work here. So unfortunately no 'dole' so wife works full time, husband managed to pick up casual work which is the only way to keep head above water at present. He only does mundane work like packing but its a reasonable hourly rate and nothing to be sniffed at. Fingers crossed he will get another full time job. Really hard yakka but staying positive. All the best.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!