Categories
None (yet)
Posted by neva-too-old 14 years ago.

Can New Zealanders get the age pension in Australia?

My husband and I are well into our 50s and are planning to move to Brisbane. From what we've seen on this site we probably wouldn't get PR status in Australia. So what happens when we reach retirement age - can we get the pension in Australia that we would get as of right in New Zealand at age 65 (I think)?

Reply from forum moderator 5 months ago on 6 November 2023.

If you are not aware of it yet, please read the following information from Work & Income NZ about receiving the pension while living in Australia as a NZ citizen:

https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/on-a-benefit/overseas-travel/nz-super-and-veterans-pension/living-in-australia.html

You also need to read it in conjunction with the following information from the Australian government about who qualifies for the Age Pension in Australia (as it is subject to an income and asset test, as well as there being age requirements):

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/who-can-get-age-pension?context=22526

31 replies, the latest on 25 May 2023.
Reply from carla 11 months ago.

We have found out today, the hard way! That as Australian pensions are means and assets tested, Kiwis moving here with more than approx 680k in the bank (after buying property here) wont qualify for a pension at all (NZ (after 6 months out of the country) or Australian.

Reply from julianne 11 years ago.

I have been living in New Zealand for 20 years and I hold an Australian pass port. My Husband holds a New Zealand pass port. We want to move to Australia to be with family.We are in our late 50's. Can we get a pesion over in Australia.

Reply from robby 9 years ago.

I have been receiving a small NZ pension whilst living in Australia. I am 88 and have now left Australia to live with my daughter in the UK. Will I still receive the NZ pension when I have not yet be assessed for the English pension.? Thank you

Reply from criminal-issue 8 years ago.

I has work in Australia for 13 years and hold a New Zealand passport which pension will I claim?

Reply from cabalano 8 years ago.

I have lived in Australia for 30 years and now I am 65 can I claim the NZ pension?

Reply from puppygirl 8 years ago.

I turn 65 in 10 months,We plan to move to Perth to be with our children & help raise our grandchildren......what are the main things we need to get sorted b4 we get there....eg health

Reply from concerned 8 years ago.

I lived in New Zealand for nineteen years, I am NZ citizen. Now I am living in Australia from 2004.

Do I get both PENSION after 65?

Reply from kimba 7 years ago.

My wife and I are both in our early 70 and are planning on moving to Townsville to join our two daughters and family's. Do we get the NZ pension payed or are we enlargeable to receive Australian pension also I receive a veterans pension does this transfer.

Reply from sjc 7 years ago.

Hi..

I am British and lived in NZ for 7 years and now a NZ citizen, I am now working in Australia and hold a SCV ( Visa ) and plan to stay and by the time I reach retirement I would have worked 22 years would I qualify for Australian state pension.

Thanks

Reply from justkiwi 7 years ago.

Hi I have been in Australia 4yrs coming up to 5yrs in June this year I came over from New Zealand to help a friend I turned 66 last August I just want to know if I can collect the new Zealand pension while over here.

Thankyou

Reply from ruthie 6 years ago.

I am a 74 year old receiving a NZ pension, at the moment live with my son and Australian daughter in law. They have just informed me they are planning on shifting to Australia to live. can I continue to receive my NZ pension, in Australia. I also have a daughter who lives in the UK. I have been spending 4 months over the winter with my UK family. Can I continue to receive my pension while I am in the UK?

Reply from bucko 6 years ago.

I have worked in Australia since 1996 but still have a NZ passport. I turned 65years last year. Can I still get a NZ pension while living in Australia or do I have to return to NZ to live to receive it? I do have an address still in NZ.

Reply from arwinder 6 years ago.

Me(27yrs old) my wife (25 yrs old), my dad (60 yrs old) and my mum (59 yrs old) are living in New Zealand for the last 9 years. We are planing to move to Brisbane end of 2018. When my parents reach age 65 will they be eligible for the aged pension? We are all New Zealand citizens, except my wife.

Reply from aussiekiwi 6 years ago.

Hi, I was born in Australia and lived here for 14years before heading to NZ and finishing my schooling. I then joined the RNZAF and served in the Middle East Peace Keeping Force in the Sinai Desert. To go I had to relinquish my Australian citizenship and become a kiwi (no problems with that - except could not hold dual citizenship in 1984). I returned to Australia to work in 2005 and have regained my Australian citizenship (still have my kiwi one as well nowadays). As a kiwi, can I claim my NZ pension and then as an Aussie, can I claim that as well after the age of 65?

Reply from kiwikoala 6 years ago.

Hi. Well done you for regaining your AU Citizenship. I look forward to seeing tge response. Am following this post. You will be income tested on the Au pwnsion if granted. To get the NZ pension in AU you need to have resided in Nz between age 20 and 59 for 10 yrs and no less. No time in NZ after 59 yrs of age will be counted. Hope that helps. Google Nz pension portability into AU.

Reply from george 5 years ago.

I am a New Zealander. I work for 40 years in from 1968 to 1992 in New Zealand. I now live in Brisbane. I am 66 years old. Can I get my New Zealand pension while living in Australia?

Reply from kiwimist 5 years ago.

We moved to Australia 1998 we became citizens in 2001 I’m 65 next yr can I claim the nz aged pension. As I don’t qualify for pension till I’m 66 in Australia. I was 42 when we moved here

Reply from matairangi 5 years ago.

My brother has lived in Australia for 30 years and now he is 65 can he claim the NZ pension?

Reply from uknzaus 5 years ago.

We came to Aus from NZ in 1996. We became citizens in 2001. So why do we have to get NZ pension

Reply from nzbarnie 5 years ago.

I am 73 years old, moved permantly to Australia March 2019, Applied to centrelink for Age pension April 2019. Now early August and not much further ahead. Any advice welcomed

Reply from tokoham1 4 years ago.

I am 69 and my wife 63, Intend to live with children living in Australia when my wife turns 65. Do we both eligible for Australian age pension.

Reply from jas64 4 years ago.

I'm 64 and I've have been living in Australia for 10 months. Can I get the pension in Australia?

Reply from barbara-m 4 years ago.

I am a Australian citizen getting my citizenship 1992 I am a NEw Zealander. Returning 7 years ago to N Z I am a pensioner aged 70 and wanting to return to Australia can I transfer my pension.

Reply from barb-b 4 years ago.

How often do we get the age pension in Australia? I'm a NZ citizen...

Reply from j-o 3 years ago.

I came from NZ to live in Australia 1994, I am a permanent resident I am now on the age pension and I'm receiving part pension from NZ. If I become an Australian citizen, will I then receive full pension from Australia?

Reply from peter 2 years ago.

I am 75 years of age and am a permanent Australian Citizen. I came to Australia around 1969. Can I receive the NZ pension?

Reply from wozup 2 years ago.

I am a NZ citizen. I am going to work for about 2 years in Australia. Will I still be able to get my pension when i return to NZ?

Reply from kathie 2 years ago.

I am an Australian citizen and moved to NZ and in left in 1987. Am I entitled to part NZ pension?

Reply from focusd 2 years ago.

Hello I am asking on behalf of my Aunty, I have read previous questions asking exactly what I am about to ask as I cannot see the comments.

My Aunty is moving to Australia end of October does or is she still entitled to the pension whilst there? If so how long before it expires or does it? and where or what does she need to do in Oz to apply? she is 77 and what are the criteria for her to be able to receive the pension or not please TIA

Reply from thelma 1 year ago.

It's taking months to have our pension sorted having done it back in September 2022. According to NZ it takes approx 3wks for them to receive the batches from Australia via surface mail then another 3wks for NZ to process approx.

Make sure you have plenty of funds set aside to live on while you wait. Transferring from a NZ pension to an Australian pension is not as easy as Aussie to NZ. NZ has a much easier system.

Centrelink has a huge backlog so this is probably compounding the issue. Be prepared for a long wait.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!