Categories
None (yet)
Posted by muncie 14 years ago.

Can I move to Australia with outstanding fines?

9 replies, the latest on 24 September 2015.
Reply from theduck 14 years ago.

no, you will be stopped at the Airport... organize payment before you go or it could be a short & expensive trip.

Reply from shazandy 14 years ago.

If you buy a return ticket you wont be pulled up on it. Had a friend move to Cairns and he was stopped coz he had a one way ticket. However if he had a return ticket it would be fine. So by doing this it was cheaper as his fines were sky high. (he didnt use the return ticket obviously) but has now been in oz for years and slowly paid those fines off. Its just a quick fix to get out and go really:)

Reply from dad 13 years ago.

Okay I was on this project to be clear the rules are as follows: if you have >5k of court imposed fines AND a fines warrant to arrest OR >$1 of reparation owed and a warrant to arrest then YOU WILL BE STOPPED at the airport and you will either have to pay on the spot and if you cannot then you will be arrested and taken to court.

If you have <5k of court imposed fines and a warrant to arrest you will be flagged in the system but not stopped.

The best way around this is to pay your fines or reparation if you cannot afford to pay in full then call the Ministry of Justice and make a pay arrangement as long as you stick to it then there will not be any issue.

Hope that clarifies things

Reply from scratch 13 years ago.

is this if your fines are from Oz? If you left Oz previously owing debts how would you know if you have any fines outstanding? Thanx

Reply from macclan 12 years ago.

I have fines just under 5k and am paying them off weekly, I have a one way ticket. Will i get stopped? has anyone been through this?

Reply from jstar 12 years ago.

i am currently paying my fines which are up to date and are under $2800 Will i be stopped at the airport if i said i was immigrating and on a one way ticket?

Reply from fashionat85 11 years ago.

Hay im moving to Australia next month and was wondering if I had fines but were making payments would I get stopd at the airport

Reply from australian-mate 11 years ago.

I am applying for a PR state nominated 190 visa, I just got an email from the Australian Debt Recovery Pvt Ltd company that I owe $533 to 3 mobile network. I ll be paying themoney off quickly but will bad credit history hamper my chances to Obtain a Permanent Residency. Plase help.

Reply from anonymous 9 years ago.

Hi there. I lived in Sydney for 12 years before returning to nz. I was sent to court for driving while disqulaified. I was ordered by the court to do 150 hours community work through probation office and 3 month disqualification period. Before i was meant to start community work i returned to nz. I found out through the local police station i had a warant for my arrest. What will happen to me if i return to australia. This happened in 2009.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!