Categories
None (yet)
Posted by auscalling 8 years ago.

Im an NZ Citizen, lived in Aus from 1985-2000 Can I get a returning PR visa?

I lived in Aus for almost 15yrs and married an Australian and had 4 children there. I returned back to NZ for support when my marriage ended and got stuck. My children have since returned to Aus and I want to join them. I work as a Mental Health Nurse so therefore jobs are not an issue. But am I able to get a returning PR visa? As I would have been considered a PR before I left.

5 replies, the latest on 22 August 2016.
Reply from adaz 8 years ago.

There is a resident return visa (RRV) for Kiwis who first arrived in Australia before 1 September 1994. You should apply for this visa in Australia.

If you were in Australia on 26 February 2001 or for 12 months in 2 year period before 26 February 2001 then you would be a Protected Special Category Visa holder on arrival.

Contact ozkiwi or iwinaus on Facebook or via their websites for further information and advice.

Reply from matthew-c 8 years ago.

HI, there, what is Protected Special Category Visa holder? I am kiwi and had lived in Australia for a year time in 1997. I did applied and had the Medicare card at that time. Can I renew my Medicare card once I return to Australia in Oct., 2016? Am I a permanent residence as I had landed and stayed there before Feb., 2001?

Hi Matthew C,

A Protected Special Category Visa holder is a person who travelled to Australia on a New Zealand passport and was in Australia on 26 February 2001 or for 12 months in the two years before that date ( between 27 February 1999 to 25 February 2001).

A Protected SCV has more rights such as: Can apply for Australian citizenship after 4 years without having to hold a permanent visa first Right to disability benefits and disability services Right to sponsor someone for permanent visa Right to Headstart Allowances (dole) Right to HECS (student loans)

You never had a permanent visa since you first arrived after 1 September 1994 so you wouldn't be eligible for a RRV. You wouldn't be considered a Protected SCV holder either since you were not in Australia on 26 February 2001 or for 12 months in the 2 years before that date.

If you had spent some time in Australia before 1 September 1994 (even for a holiday) you would be eligible to apply for a RRV.

You would be considered an Unprotected SCV ie someone who arrived after 26 February 2001.

New Zealanders are entitled to Medicare regardless of when you arrived in Australia. Just contact Medicare when you are back in Australia.

Meant to write newstart allowance not headstart ... damn autocorrection

Reply from auscalling
OP
8 years ago.

Matthew C - if you have access to facebook I highly recommend you contact ozkiwi they are incredibly helpful and gave me all the information I needed at the time. I was also given all the links to the sights I needed. Its easier than having everything explained on this site. good luck.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!