Categories
None (yet)
Posted by interested 16 years ago.

How does the cost of food compare to New Zealand?

From what I've heard it varies - e.g dairy products, cereals etc are quite a lot cheaper - but other things can be more expensive, e.g. certain types of breads etc. What experiences have you had over there?

4 replies, the latest on 01 November 2012.
Reply from mark347 16 years ago.

When my partner and i went to bundaberg for a look around we took 3 weeks worth of grocery reciepts with us to compare prices 95% of things were cheaper and what wasn't was cheaper at the sunday markets.

Reply from aimee 12 years ago.

Try doing a online shop at Coles - think of all the things you would buy in a shop and go thru it. Our food shop here is $300ish most weeks and I found it to be cheaper .. like nappies here are $40 for bulk Huggies and over in Brissy they are $33.

You don't have to sign up or anything with Coles and apparently Coles is in the more expensive range according to our nz to now aussie friends.

Reply from marts 11 years ago.

I think food in australia is way cheaper than nz.bread $1, 2litre milk $2, gas around $1.35 litre..Meats cheap, chicken is cheapest. Just have to look around, they have a budget shop Aldis, good for big households and alot of discount places.

Reply from baffled 11 years ago.

We moved to Gold Coast in June, anyone who says cost of living here is higher is deluding themselves.

I can't believe how much cheaper things are here, but it pays to look around and check out the specials.

Some of the meat suppliers are much cheaper than supermarkets, also the fruit and vege places. The various markets are also great, not always cheaper but the food is amazing.

Chicken breasts $6.99 kg, lamb legs $6.99 kg, Pork Leg roasts $3.99 kg!! Can't get that in NZ!!

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!