Categories
None (yet)
Posted by scaredkiwi 9 years ago.

Australian credit card debit now living in New Zealand

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help, I have joint credit card debt with my ex husband.

I had to flee Australia with my young son to get away from my abusuve ex husband. I had a police DVO in place, however this didn't stop the harassment. I haven't paid anything towards this joint credit card and neither has he. I have called the bank to see the status and it has been passed onto a debt collection agency. I have no idea of my ex husbands whereabouts and I do not want to make any contact with him. I worry that they will come looking for me in NZ. Can they legally enforce this Australian debt? No lectures please, I had to leave in desperation.

3 replies, the latest on 07 March 2016.
Reply from bayofplentyfamily 9 years ago.

To answer your question, yes they can, if they choose to bother.

You have stated you have made contact with the bank. Had you made contact a wee bit earlier, I'm sure you and the bank could have sorted something out before it went to a collection agency. Just saying.

Reply from maya 8 years ago.

Hi yah, some how they got a hold of where I work through when I made where I work public on my facebook and someone at work said that I worked there as i worked for a big company. I've stopped replying to them so far and I do plan a holiday there soon. Mine is with ANZ and its credit Corp australia that will. As long as you have things with high profile on your fb and any other those site you will be fine.

Reply from maya 8 years ago.

Have you had any issues since then? Just looked at the date I've only been back two years

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!