Categories
None (yet)
Posted by tarnz87 10 years ago.

NZ citizen moving to Oz and have an Australian father.

Just wondering what it would mean for me by having an Australian father? He is on my birth certificate as being born in Melbourne. I however dont know him. I am wanting to move over with my 2 children and try for a better life.

2 replies, the latest on 16 May 2020.
Reply from auzzie7 7 years ago.

As the question showing..im a nz citizen/resident my father is Australian born in Brisbane and I want to move to Australia what would I need to live in Australia? ??

Reply from mrjesse 4 years ago.

Just a nz passport, and if you have no convictions, should be easily able to relocate in Australia. The moment you land in Australia and cross the border, you are technically granted legal residency. It is part of the Trans-Tasman agreement. When I went to NZ, they told me that the moment I came to NZ, I was granted residency on my passport as happens to all Aussies going to NZ even for a 1 week vacation. It's just how it is.

In response to your question about your father being an Australian. I am an Aussie, and one of my children is a kiwi by birth. The children of Australians are entitled to Australian Citizenship by Descent. Look it up. It's not too hard to do. You can do much of it online and get certain things jp'd or notarized etc like birth certificates etc. If you wish to get Australian Citizenship by Descent, then you will need evidence that your father is an Australian. Do you have a copy of your his Birth Certificate or Passport? You will likely need this to prove your entitlement to citizenship. Maybe your Birth Certificate shows your father is Australian, this will help, but the more information the better. The benefit of being Australian Citizen is you will get full access to Medicare unlike most Kiwis who have to wait a period of time. But if you remained just NZ citizen, you would still get emergency hospital care etc. in Australia.

End of the day, if you choose to not get Australian Citizenship, you can still move to Australia. But getting Australian Citizenship does increase the benefits that comes with it as is the other way around.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!