Posted by sina79 on 03/07/2008

I am an Australian Citizen wishing to bring my incapacitated father (a New Zealand citizen) to Australia. What benefits will he be able to get and will Medicare help out?

My father has had a stroke and has aphasia and is unable to communicate, as well as being paralysed. My mother is the full time carer. He is 60 and has been in NZ over 20 years. Will Medicare help out with subsidised medications, and will I be able to get assistance with equipment for my father (bed, wheelchair, personal care supplies etc)?

#1 response from little_helper at 04:59 on Sun, 6 July 2008

It would be a good idea to get in touch with Medicare directly (via email if you don't want to phone). Their website is at http://www.medicareaus... and might even have some information in their FAQ or documentation sections that will answer your questions. Naturally you would want to be certain about what they would cover before moving over, so that's why asking them questions specific to your situation would be the best to way to get some peace of mind.

Add Your Voice

Participate in this topic by posting a reply below.

This is the name that will appear on your comment - choose anything you like but keep it clean!

All HTML tags will be stripped from your comment.

Spam alert: When submitting your question, you might be asked to prove that you are a human rather than a robot. Just complete the simple challenge to have your post submitted.