Categories
None (yet)
Posted by jan-m 12 years ago.

Widow and goldcardholder wanting to join adult children in Queensland permanently

My adult chidren and grandchildren are my only family and they now live in Queensland, one for 5 years and one 6months, they are both working.What are the requirements for me to be able to join them, financial, medical, I have a clean bill of health, am 66yrs of age, own my own unit and am comfortably well off in Nz.

3 replies, the latest on 04 January 2015.
Reply from baffled 11 years ago.

Hi there, my husband and I are both retirement age. We moved to Aus in June this year, received our medicare card and pension card very easily. The Pension is means tested and asset tested in Australia, but you can still receive your NZ pension for at least 6 months from when you arrive in Aus. which will give you time to check out your entitlements in Aus.

Check out the following site for all the information you need: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

We moved to be closer to family and we are loving it. The Australian government give you a lot more concessions than NZ, like rental assistance, telephone, electricity, car registration concessions etc. You will be amazed!!

Take the plunge, you will not regret it. The weather is great as well!

Reply from franl 9 years ago.

Hi, I am selling my home in NZ and moving to Brisbane in March 2015 to be close to my Son as I have no family in NZ. I am very concerned that I will not be able to afford another home in Brisbane as I will be looking at buying something for under the $400.000 price range, I am a single retiree 68 years old, has anyone been in this position. Any advice will be appreciated.

Reply from barbara-m 9 years ago.

Hi. Check out realestate.com.au and put Brisbane in. Depending on where you want to live, you should be able to find a townhouse or apartment that would suit you.

Once you arrive, visit Centrelink to find out about what you are entitled to pension wise.

My husband and I moved from NZ to Gold Coast in 2012 and find it cheaper living here than in NZ, and the first $18000 of income (pension) is tax free. We advised the NZ tax office that we were leaving the country so are not NZ residents for tax purposes. Our NZ pension is direct credited to our Aus bank account every four weeks, then Centrelink top it up. Much more concessions here than in NZ. And the weather is better!!!

Good luck with your house hunting and move. You won't regret it.

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!