Categories
None (yet)
Posted by timaru-girl 16 years ago.

Is it really that great living in Australia? Was it a big cultural change?

4 replies, the latest on 21 August 2009.
Reply from bogues 16 years ago.

The biggest surprize (for me) was that when you step off the plane, you realise that you have an (non Australian) accent. Culturally, Australia is the same as pakeha New Zealand.

Reply from mayflower 16 years ago.

there are some minor differences in culture, but nothing so substantial as to create major issues. it would be no different to moving to a new city in a different part of the country (except that going back is more complicated expensive).

Colloquialisms and slang are the main differences though and some things are done a bit differently (i.e. their health system and tertiary education system). But other than that, it's rather similar, but with better pay and lower taxes!

Reply from cals 15 years ago.

Depending on where you live I think, I work on a community in the Northern Territories, but go back to Queensland once a year to check up on my house, etc. It is a huge culture shock out there, Aboroginals are so very different to the Aboriginals you see in the cities/towns. They can be quite daunting when you first encounter them, especially in the remote areas of Australia.

Reply from mckay-ten 15 years ago.

FANTASTIC MOVE FOR OUR FAMILY, WE HAVE 8 CHILDREN, ONE BORN HERE. BOUGHT HOUSE ON LAND, CHEAP LAND IN SUNSHINE COAST. BEST CHANGE WE MADE. NZ WAS DEPRESSING AND WE LOVE THE SUNSHINE, MANGOES AND LITTLE RAIN, ICAN GET MY WASHING DRY HERE, PEOPLE GREAT......FANTASTIC FAMILY ASSISTANCE- KIWIS WORK HARDER THAN OZZIES, CHEAPER FOOD IF FROM SHOP CALLED ALDI. DO IT- BUT DONT EXPECT TOO MUCH JUST A NEW CHAPTER IN YOUR BOOK OF LIFE

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!