Categories
None (yet)
Posted by bex 13 years ago.

How do I apply for permanent residency in Australia? How much does it cost and where do I go??

I'm moving from NZ to Australia with my partner and two kids. We have a baby due soon who will be born in Australia. We have no intention on moving back to New Zealand ever and want to make our status in Australia permanent and official! Thanks

15 replies, the latest on 19 February 2018.
Reply from graciedeska 12 years ago.

Good for you! We've written a little guide to getting your Australian permanent residency and citizenship here, which I hope you will find useful :) http://movetoaustralia.net/how-to-become-an-australian-citizen/

Reply from florence 11 years ago.

I am a New Zealand Citizen, living in Australia over 3 years. How can I apply for permanent residency in Australia I can't seem to find one form to fill out.

Thanks.

Reply from gemm 10 years ago.

I also could not find the required information on the IMMI website for a NZ citizen to apply to become an Permanent Resident. It sent me round in circles and every form asked when I became permanent resident already?? Any info would be very appreciated.

Thank you for all the great info given on this site.

Reply from hillbilly 10 years ago.

It is almost impossible to do if you come after Feb25 2001.

I have tried and don't qualify because of my age.

My son who is 30 would have to pay $3950 to apply for permanent residency first before applying for citizenship.

Be aware that whist you get Medicare after a qualifying period you really need private health insurance which costs us as a couple $3500 a year.If you haven't got it there is a tax levy on your earnings.

You also cant get the dole EVER so you better have a job.

Lots of other things you cant get that an Aussie does so do the research before you come as its not the land of milk and honey that some seem to think Several thousand have lost jobs with places closing due to uneconomic high wages making things uncompetitive in the market. Cars and Rego and insurance are dearer than NZ cost of living is a bit higher depending on the season at the supermarket.

Ring the AUS Immigration Office they will tell you the true facts and only they can.

Reply from arnie 9 years ago.

I'm a NZ citizen and moving to Australia together with my family and I need to process my Australian residency ASAP. Can you please help me? Who could I talk to? Or any agent that can help me to do it? Thanks. Arnie

Reply from hillbilly 9 years ago.

Read my post above. When you arrive into Australia you get an electronic visa which allows you to live here for as long as you like. Should you leave the country for ANY length of time it's cancelled and starts again when you return.

You don't have to do anything and no agent can do anything for you either.

Read the cost above for getting permanent residency, with no refund if unsuccessful and you would be extremely unlikely to get it granted anyway.

I was told I was wasting my money due to my age.

Unemployment is at its highest for years and Qld is the worst state ATM.

I'ts not a good time to come if you haven't arranged work before you leave.

You wont get any welfare payments and can never get the dole.

Reply from simon 9 years ago.

im a Australian citizen but my partner is a NZ citizen we are expecting are first child in march next year how much would it cost for my partner to become a permanent resident so that she can claim some parenting payment as i work full time hours but not classified as a full time employee so my income would only just cover the basics she is working at the moment but will have to give up employment at some stage soon just worried that only one income will not be enough and some centerlink help would be good but unsure if we are in titled to receive anything due to her not being a resident . would it be easier if we were to get married?

Reply from hillbilly 9 years ago.

The only true answer will come from the Australian Immigration Department. Have you asked them?

What does Centrelink say? Have you asked them????

Answers on forums are opinions only (including mine). I would have to pay $3950 TO APPLY for permanent residence and if I got that then I could apply for citizenship.

Due to my age I have absolutely no chance of it being granted.

In answer to the marriage question, probably not, as I am married to an Aussie and they couldn't give a fig about that.

If your partner was living in Aussie prior to Feb 26th 2001 she will possibly have no problems If she came after that its different and very much harder, in fact almost impossible.

Reply from syed 8 years ago.

Hi,

I am planning to move to Australia sometime next year on work VISA and I and my family(wife and one kid) have NZ permanent resident VISA. Can someone please answer following questions, so that I can decide whether it is the right move or not:

1. Will I get any medical benefit from AUS Govt. on Aussie work VISA?
  2. Can I get free schooling for my Kid as I have in NZ? My son is just above 5 years old.
  3. If my wife falls pregnant there in AUS, would I be eligible for any benefits or I need to pay all amount from my pocket until and unless I get AUS residence?

Thanks, Syed

Reply from phoenix 8 years ago.

I was born in england and came to australia in 1990. I am an australian citizen by decent through my mum. my nan was born in the uk, and came to australia and had my mum. my nan re-married after my grandad died when my mum was 2 years of age. my nan and grandad are now citizens. My grandad (not blood related) has grandchildren from his son who currently live in australia on a visa, not sure what has happened but it is due to work and they are trying to stay in australia as there visa may run out and get sent back to the uk. however, my cousin (not blood related) would like to stay in australia, how can she do this? please help. thank you

Reply from hillbilly 8 years ago.

In answer to Phoenix. This is not the correct place to answer such a complicated question.

Your relatives should approach Australian Immigration who will give you the proper information. I don't know why people ask questions like this on forums when all you get is opinions (including mine) which may or may not help you.

Ask Immigration they are the ONLY people who can help. They will be open tomorrow. Ring them up.

Reply from white 8 years ago.

Syed, base on your situation you are holding a PR in Nz since you will migrate to australia you will only hold a work visa and not qualified for any family support from the au government like from the centrelink, your medical is on your own expense either. but your daughter if she's holding a student visa then she can study for free on any govt. primary school. But then again since your holding only a work visa most expenses comes from your own pocket. Unless you're a New Zealand citizen when you migrate in Australia ,govt will still support you and your family as long as you have a job. what au citizens/residents get thats what you get also like family support, medical but theirs only one difference is you and your family needs to live in AU at-least 10 years so your daughter will be eligible for student loan, unless you will apply for Au residency. My opinion you better get your citizenship in New Zealand first so their will be no hassles you don't need any such kind of visas to get to Australia, less hassles no headaches, what you get in New Zealand is what you get in Australia.

and Note: $120,000 is a maximum income of family to be eligible for family assistance, beyond that theirs no family extra weekly/fortnightly support from AU Centrelink just like New Zealand from IRD.

hope this will help.

Reply from baber 8 years ago.

Thanks white for the detailed answer. I am just thinking of moving to AOS as the market is quiet small here and not many opportunities. Just to confirm that NZ citizen get the same benefits as Australian citizen in AUSTRALIA?

Reply from shamus 6 years ago.

I’m in Australia on a 457 visa when is the soonest I can apply for permanent residency?

Have we helped you? You can help keep this site running without paying us a cent and save money in the process!